Gentleman with a Work Visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gentleman with a Work Visa

I had a gentleman come in yesterday who is in the US on a H-1 Working visa. He is married but his spouse in in India. She was allowed in the US on a H-4 Visa, under her husband's visa.

He said she is listed as a dependent which prevents her from being able to get a SSN. Is she going to be able to file for last years taxes? Will an ITIN work?

Thanks in advance, and have a good weekend

Shawn Miller
    Atlanta, GA
    Shawn D. Miller
    Atlanta, GA

"If you stand on the shoulders of a giant...you will see further than a giant!"

Who is filing the taxes?

Hey Shawn;

You say she cannot get a SS# but she wants to file taxes for last year? Is she not his dependent on his return? If so, her ITIN can be used as her identifying number and he can file the tax return claiming her as a dependent

Comment

Husband is filing...

but his wife is on his visa as a dependent. I was going to get her an ITIN, but he said she was ineligible for a SSN....which made me pose the question... wondering if she is also ineligible for the ITIN too. I'm just tossing around a few ideas, and wanted to check with the gurus.

Thanks,

Shawn
      Shawn D. Miller
      Atlanta, GA

"If you stand on the shoulders of a giant...you will see further than a giant!"

Comment

She can get an ITIN and needs one to be claimed as a dependent on his return. No problem with that.

Comment

Working...
        X