e-file a paper-filed Federal return?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e-file a paper-filed Federal return?

Other preparer filled out Federal by hand but did not do state due to multi-state issues; gave taxpayer Federal form to mail and all tax documents, and directed taxpayer to me. Client mailed in the Federal form, then came to me to get states filled out. In entering the data into my tax software, noticed an error on Form 6251, "AMT" -- client's refund should be $600 higher than originally figured.

Question: if I e-filed the Federal 1040, the e-file will get to the IRS before the paper-filed return -- so, what would then happen when the IRS gets the paper return? Would it get processed or thrown out as a duplicate?

Bill

Returned to sender

Originally posted by Bill Tubbs View Post
    Other preparer filled out Federal by hand but did not do state due to multi-state issues; gave taxpayer Federal form to mail and all tax documents, and directed taxpayer to me. Client mailed in the Federal form, then came to me to get states filled out. In entering the data into my tax software, noticed an error on Form 6251, "AMT" -- client's refund should be $600 higher than originally figured.

Question: if I e-filed the Federal 1040, the e-file will get to the IRS before the paper-filed return -- so, what would then happen when the IRS gets the paper return? Would it get processed or thrown out as a duplicate?

Bill

Just as when mother and grandmother trying to claim the kids, the race goes to the swifter.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Tubbs View Post

Bill
      I would personally wait for a 4-5 weeks and then do a 1040X and mail it in. Still could e-file the state return though.

Comment

Working...
      X