Dependent's Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dependent's Return

I just got done with a 15 yr old dependent's return. I don't know if it is a bug in the program but I checked the "dependent of another" box and calculated the return. The return then added the "earned income form 8867" as if I needed to complete it. Upon review of the form the "dependent of another" box needed to be checked manually. Is that something new? Or is it a program issue?

The program did not create an earned income credit even thought the box was not checked yes. But it did make the form part of the return. With E-filing and having this form part of the e-file and not answering this question it could cause a problem, NO?
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

What software are you using?

Comment

Software

Ultratax. I just got off the phone with support and they said the 8867 should not have been generated...??? And to reenter the data, as they could not duplicate what happened.

I'm just going to mark the box manually and let the return go as is. I've spent enough time on this almost freebee return already..
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Unusual questions

Originally posted by BOB W View Post

...With E-filing and having this form part of the e-file and not answering this question it could cause a problem, NO?
        Bob / I don't have Ultratax, but it sounds like a program problem. The thing is, there usually aren't any answers available to such questions because it's in the hands of the IRS, who may/may not make a problem out of it and they themselves don't know how their computers will handle that efile. I've called IRS about stuff like this several times -- usually they're clueless or say "send it in and see what happens."

I think you've picked the best way and it will most likely go through without a hitch, but it is frustrating having to take the chance of "looking bad" to your client if such gets rejected.

Comment

Thanks......

...... for rely. I sent it in so we will see what happens. Probably nothing as you say.

Comment

Working...
          X