Employee or self-employed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employee or self-employed?

A question for the tax partitioners on this board.

A household worker received more than $1,500 for her works last year. She should be considered a household worker and her employer should have withheld tax and gave her a W-2 for year 2006. But the employer has done nothing other than just written her a check for the full amount of her pay every month. How'd you prepare her tax return?

I have been told to file a Schedule C for her and report her income there. But by doing so, she will suddenly become 'self-employed' while she should be considered a household 'employee' according to the definition of the IRS. Should a tax partitioner decide that the client should file as self-employed (while obviously she's not self-employed) just because her employer did not withhold tax and give her a W-2?

Employee- W-2

Just gross up her pay for the FICA & M/C taxes paid for her by the employer.
    Report this amount in box 1,3&5 on the W-2.
    Report the FICA tax in box 4 and the M/C tax in box 6 of the W-2.
    Question, forgot to ask, is, what did the employer furnish her, a W-2 or 1099?
    Who did the work for the employer? You or someone else?
    Another question. Does this person clean houses for other people, if so, she may be
    self employed.

Comment

If an employee is treated as an independent contractor and the employer will not issue a proper W-2 for the wages earned, the employee has two options:

1) Put the income on a Schedule C, pay SE tax on the earnings, and be done with it.

2) Follow the procedure in TTB, page 5-23 under the heading "Wrong Treatment of Employees as Independent Contractors."

If you pick number 2 above, you run the risk of making the employer mad. Does your client want to lose his/her job over this?

Comment

Good advice

Originally posted by Brad Imsdahl View Post
        If an employee is treated as an independent contractor and the employer will not issue a proper W-2 for the wages earned, the employee has two options:

1) Put the income on a Schedule C, pay SE tax on the earnings, and be done with it.

2) Follow the procedure in TTB, page 5-23 under the heading "Wrong Treatment of Employees as Independent Contractors."

If you pick number 2 above, you run the risk of making the employer mad. Does your client want to lose his/her job over this?
        We have an old saying down South: "Never insult the alligators till after you've
        crossed the creek."
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Two choices

I agree with Brad's two choices. Either file a Schedule C or file a SS-8 for the IRS to determine worker status. And I bet the IRS will determine she is an employee and the employer will get a letter asking for back taxes.

If the worker files Sch C she can take some deductions like mileage. A small consolation...

If it were me, I'd go the Sch C route. Without a W-2 it's tough to claim she's an employee.

JHMO,
          Carol

Comment

Agree with Carol. Yes, indeed she might have been an employee, but then again, she will lose many of her benefits such as mileage to/from if this was an employer/employee. Did she get a 1099? Many times it is more advantageous for the worker (1500.00 total) to report it as Self employment and take viable deductions from that as a Schedule C and not rely on Form 2106 to try and take unreimbursed employee expenses....

Comment

Originally posted by CarolToppCPA View Post
              I agree with Brad's two choices. Either file a Schedule C or file a SS-8 for the IRS to determine worker status. And I bet the IRS will determine she is an employee and the employer will get a letter asking for back taxes.

If the worker files Sch C she can take some deductions like mileage. A small consolation...

If it were me, I'd go the Sch C route. Without a W-2 it's tough to claim she's an employee.

JHMO,
              Carol

I thought about that too. But for reasons that I absolutely cannot understand, a lot of lenders now will give out a loan to borrowers who are self-employed without even considering their income. What about if the taxpayer turns around and uses the tax return to borrow a loan? If something goes wrong in the future, would they blame it on the tax preparer because he was the one who 'decided' that the taxpayer should file a Schedule C as self-employed?

Comment

Choices

Originally posted by Questionguy101 View Post
                I thought about that too. But for reasons that I absolutely cannot understand, a lot of lenders now will give out a loan to borrowers who are self-employed without even considering their income. What about if the taxpayer turns around and uses the tax return to borrow a loan? If something goes wrong in the future, would they blame it on the tax preparer because he was the one who 'decided' that the taxpayer should file a Schedule C as self-employed?
                No. See Brad's answer above. You explain the two choices to the client and let him
                make the decision.
                ChEAr$,
                Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                X