Asbestos removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asbestos removal

My client removed asbestos from a business space. Cost $3200. Do I depreciate this or expense it?

As bestos as I know

removal of the offending material is a maintenance cost, so expend it.

It's not something that prolongs life of building, but is ordinary and necessary
    for the health and welfare of all concerned
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Pub 535 says the removal of hazardous substances to clean up contamination is a capital expense. However, there is a special rule for environmental clean-up costs that allow for a current deduction if paid prior to 2006.

I don’t know if asbestos removal from a building would fall into the environmental clean-up category. My feeling would be to expense it as normal maintenance expense, however, just a word of caution that environmental clean-up costs generally fall into the capitalization category.

Comment

No way!

>>expense it as normal maintenance<<

No way! You are changing one of the fundamental structural elements in a one-time, major event. You are extending the life of the building because if the asbestos ages it will make the building unsafe to occupy. Putting the asbestos in was a capital expense, and so is replacing it.

Comment

take a look at this

AICPA® & CIMA® is the most influential body of accountants and finance experts in the world, with 689,000 members, students and engaged professionals globally. We advocate for the profession, the public interest and business sustainability.
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
          X