Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Casualty Loss-FMV

Have not had this before so need help.
    Client, in Texas, owns a home on Bayview St., Stuart, FL. Total cost, including lot
    $91,569. Rented to daughter & husband. Depreciation taken $13,425.=basis $78,144.
    Estimate to restore the house, $75,126. Insurance paid $67,000.
    Client says that before the hurricane hit the house, he could have sold it, house & lot,
    for $125,000. Immediately after the hurricane hit, Speculators would have paid him
    $150,000. It was mainly the 3 lots the house sits on thatthe speculators wanted.
    The hurricane hit in Sept. 2004.
    Based on the above figures I am coming up with a casualty loss of $1,000.
    Guess what I am after is verification that this is correct.
    Many thanks for your help on this.

Loss of value

Loss of value from the casualty was only $25,000, offset by insurance payment which produced a net gain of $42,000. $50,000 in repairs or capital improvements beyond the loss in value. I wonder if anyone will agree with me on this.

Comment

Jainen-additional info

Client Quit claimed the deed to his daughter & husband Dec. 27, 2004.
      Gift tax return due. \what would be the value of the gift?

Item 2: The $67,000. received from the insurance company was received in May, 2005
      and given to daughter & husband to complete the work on house. Also gift tax return for $67,000. in 2005.

The husband was doing a lot of the work himself in 2004 and 2005.

Comment

Gain on the insurance reimbursement only applies if the insurance reimbursement exceeds basis and the proceeds are not reinvested into fixing the property. So since insurance = $67,000 and basis = $78,144, there is no taxable gain, even if no repairs were made.

As to the casualty loss deduction, you seem to indicate FMV before was $125,000 but after it jumped up to $150,000. That’s not a casualty loss because the FMV didn’t go down, it went up. The casualty loss is the lesser of the reduction in FMV or basis. The reduction in FMV is negative $25,000, so no casualty loss.

Comment

Value of gift

There were two gifts. The insurance money is clear. As for the FMV of the real estate. I would think that once they began fixing up the house, the value to the speculators might have been less than $150,000 as they now would have to pay extra to remove the structure.

Comment

Working...
          X