Preparer Pins and Client Selected Pins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preparer Pins and Client Selected Pins

Is there a good explanation of what is the best way to do this for e-filing ? What's easiest ?

Thanks

I use only preparer entered pins. I use thier month and day of birth and add 1. EX is 07281 for July 28th. I tried letting the client pick a 5 digit number not realizing how hard they make it. Time is money and i don't want to spend 10 minutes having them figure what numbers to use. You could actually use the same number for everyone if you wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucky View Post
      I use only preparer entered pins. I use thier month and day of birth and add 1. EX is 07281 for July 28th. I tried letting the client pick a 5 digit number not realizing how hard they make it. Time is money and i don't want to spend 10 minutes having them figure what numbers to use. You could actually use the same number for everyone if you wanted.
      I do the same only I use the client's zip code.

Comment

NewMexico, if you have a choice you want to use the preparer pin. Then you don't need to have prior year's AGI.

Comment

Pins

I use the taxpayer's zip codes. Same for both husband & wife.

I tried to let them select their 5 numbers in the first year that I e-filed. Never again. Took long. They couldn't make that simple decision without some thought.
          Jiggers, EA

Comment

I use........

.......... my ZIP Code for everybody. Pins have no meaning, so I keep it simple. I know mine without having to look up anything
            Last edited by BOB W; 01-23-2007, 07:44 PM.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Taxpayer pin

I enter the pins and all taxpayers get 12345 and spouses 54321. I tried letting them pick and even though they were told it did not matter, it was painful for some of them.
              Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Won't your

software self select the pins? Lacerte does.

Comment

Pins

Originally posted by NewMexico View Post
                  Is there a good explanation of what is the best way to do this for e-filing ? What's easiest ?

Thanks
                  Our office uses the last 5 numbers of SS#.

Comment

I do not know. I

will check to see. I use Drake.
                    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

pins in drake

Originally posted by thomtax View Post
                      will check to see. I use Drake.
                      Drake is autofilling the pins with the last 5 numbers of ss#. It makes is fast and easy when you also have macros set to enter other info.

Comment

Pins........

...... do not have to be unique to a taxpayer. They are attachments to SS#s. Every pin can be the same through the whole country> it doesn't matter........Stop trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist...........................
                        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

What problem?

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
                          ...... do not have to be unique to a taxpayer. They are attachments to SS#s. Every pin can be the same through the whole country> it doesn't matter........Stop trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist...........................
                          If it was a problem for me, I would not give everyone the same number. I do not understand your post.

Comment

Pin

I have also used the last 5 digits of SSN, altho I like Bob W's idea about zip code!

Sandy

Comment

Secret PIN numbers revealed!

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
                              ...... Every pin can be the same through the whole country. It doesn't matter........
                              The TaxWise software used by the AARP in the TCE program has been preset to use 98765 as the preparer's PIN. Our local IRS walk-in office used 12345 for the taxpayers PIN last season.

Comment

Working...
                              X