Interest on surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest on surgery

Taxpayer borrows money from a bank to pay for eye surgery. He pledges personal and business property as security. I know I have a current year deduction for the cost of surgery but what about the interest paid in future years? Is interest on a medical debt a medical deduction?
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

That would be non-deductible personal interest. You could compare that interest much the same as medical transportation deduction does not include personal interest on a car loan.

Comment

I concur

with Old Jack. See page 4-10 TTB "Interest That is Not Deductible as Itemized Deduction". I believe your loan was a "personal" loan and therefore is not deductible. You could have used the loan to purchase anything which would classify it as personal.

Comment

Thank's,

It was my opinion that it was personal interest but a second opinion is valued.
        In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
        Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Working...
        X