Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

different skill

>>Remember, Brad, real fraud is suspected in the case under discussion.<<

One of my principal concerns is that a real fraud investigator is not involved. You may be an excellent tax preparer, but trying to gather evidence of fraud is a whole different skill.

Comment

An old-time Southern lawyer

Originally posted by jainen View Post
      My friends, I'm in a hole on...other software forums...I hope... greater wisdom here...I was all alone...I don't mind...if you...join your colleagues against me...but isn't there anyone...who will champion my side?
      That's what you sound like with your sly and successful new tack/tactic of a low-profile, non-assertive, easy-goin', and non-confrontational style. Have to admit I'm a bit jealous (it's been a while since I scored a thousand-hit post).

A suggestion: Perhaps if you began every other paragraph with the anachronistic phrase "Mah fellow Uhhmericuuuns; what this country needs is...(a good -- and deductible -- $500 water heater)"

Comment

wrong employer ID #

I have tried to file a w-2 with the wrong employer ID number and I couldn't do it. It was my mistake of course and I corrected it right away. If the person making the fake W-2 knew the employers correct ID number, it might work for him. I'm not going to call an employer and play tax police, thats the IRS's job, not mine.
        ken

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
          Remember, Brad, real fraud is suspected in the case under discussion.
          If real fraud is suspected, why don’t you call the police?

Interesting that when real fraud is suspected with EIC, according to the regs I quoted earlier, you are supposed to refuse to do the return. Nothing about doing your own investigation with third parties. Nothing about going into the private eye biz.

After you've been in practice a while, you'll get a sense of this.
          One thing I’ve learned so far, during the short period of time I have been in practice, is that for the fee I get doing a tax return, its not very profitable spending time on the phone having to call people to verify information supplied by a client. It is far more profitable making the client supply the needed additional information in order for me to complete the return.

If I suspected W-2 fraud, I’d have the client produce all the pay stubs from the employer. Problem solved.
          Last edited by Brad Imsdahl; 01-26-2007, 09:22 AM.

Comment

After you've been in practice a while, you'll get a sense of this.
            Uh . . . that was a jaw dropper!

Comment

I don’t call stock brokers asking for basis information for a client.

I don’t call employers asking for an explanation of a W-2 box 14 amount.

I don’t call employers asking for more information on a client’s employee stock option plan.

I don’t call the accountant who issued my client a K-1.

I don’t call the previous year tax preparer asking for a depreciation schedule.

And I am certainly not going to call an employer on a suspicion of W-2 fraud.

I make the client supply me with missing information. And if the client acts ignorant and complains about not knowing how to get the missing information, I give a brief explanation of my hourly fee structure for me having to do any of the above. Clients will always have a rather sudden change in attitude about coming up with the necessary documentation requested.

Comment

struggling mightily

>>a brief explanation of my hourly fee structure<<

Good thing I'm a tax preparer instead of a preacher. I've been struggling mightily on the ethical point, but I just can't make it stick. The economic argument is so much more compelling!

Comment

Originally posted by jainen View Post
                  >>a brief explanation of my hourly fee structure<<

Good thing I'm a tax preparer instead of a preacher. I've been struggling mightily on the ethical point, but I just can't make it stick. The economic argument is so much more compelling!
                  if the economic argument was that important to you, you wouldn't have logged so many posts on this and other boards. i value those posts for different reasons and levels; two examples: girlfriend as sister for hh - funny / carmel coast - envy.

preach away.

Comment

Working...
                  X