WebCD Not working with AOL browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WebCD Not working with AOL browser

I just installed the WebCD and it trys to open in AOL browser and AOL says it will only try to open it as a "text" file but then the next error says it is too large for AOL. Therefore, it crashes. Way to go TMI.

Typical of AOL

I recently sent a link to a site to 8 individuals. One, my sister, did not work. Guess which company she was dealing with. I resent it to her at her work and it worked fine.

LT
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Old Jack, IMHO I wouldn't put the blame on TMI. I blame AOL. It seems that a few programs that I use regularly won't work with AOL. i.e., I can't log on to the lacerte law update c/e using AOL, I have to use IE. Others have said that AOL will not cooperate with some vendors.
      Dave, EA

Comment

The computer requirements in our ad say you need Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000, Internet Explorer 5.5, and an internet connection.

It is my understanding that AOL takes over Internet Explorer and does not let it operate. AOL needs to be turned off to allow Internet Explorer to operate.

I have a message in for our tech guy to get back to me on just how to do that, if you AOL users do not already know how to turn AOL off.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Imsdahl View Post
          The computer requirements in our ad say you need Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000, Internet Explorer 5.5, and an internet connection.

It is my understanding that AOL takes over Internet Explorer and does not let it operate. AOL needs to be turned off to allow Internet Explorer to operate.

I have a message in for our tech guy to get back to me on just how to do that, if you AOL users do not already know how to turn AOL off.
          I have WinXP Home, Internet Explorer 6.0 and obviously an internet connection.

Nothing was said that the internet connection could not be AOL. The last I knew AOL uses Internet Explorer with a different interface. With millions of AOL users your tech guys should have tested for such problem. Duh!!

As a last resort maybe you can call your tech guy on your cell phone so I can start using the program.

edit: If your tech guys wanted to use Internet Exployer why doesn't your program start Internet Explorer?
          Last edited by OldJack; 01-20-2007, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Sorry Jack,....

...... AOL has always been poor choice in the past due to tons of Adware & on screen advertising and pop-ups. To boot, limited versatility. It is not good for business use due to its small file capability structure.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
              ...... AOL has always been poor choice in the past due to tons of Adware & on screen advertising and pop-ups. To boot, limited versatility. It is not good for business use due to its small file capability structure.
              I have been using AOL since around 1988 and have been very pleased with it thank you very much! Bob, you are not properly informed. Truth is I get no screen pop-ups, no adware, and no advertising except that authorized by AOL. I get very little spam email like you would get on other IP's. Strange you would consider more than a million users have made a poor choice and are willing to pay twice the monthly fee for less. I get and send large email attachments (movies, etc) that will not go through on most other email accounts on other systems. I am looking at other IP's because of the high cost of AOL compared to others.

Comment

Jack....

..... I knew I would get your "back in a hump" over this, I was just teasing. It is not like me to do this but since you were grumpy already I couldn't help myself.

Just in fun
                This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Bob.. ya got me that time. You are right I installed the WebCD to check something and the d_a_r_n thing would not work.... so it did make me more than a little grumpy today.

Comment

Do you have.......

.... an email address through you IP service that is not AOL? If so I think you minimize AOL and be on your IP home page. Then try to install Web CD..

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
                      .... an email address through you IP service that is not AOL? If so I think you minimize AOL and be on your IP home page. Then try to install Web CD..
                      I am posting this message from IE 6.0 logged on through PeoplePC internet and have nothing to do with AOL. Yet...... when I try to start WebCD, from the desk icon, it INSISTS on trying to open in the AOL browser. This program should have been tested for this before release. How difficult is it for the TMI programmer to have programed it to start internet explorer instead of default AOL?

Comment

AOL Issues with the WebCD

Unfortunately the WebCD is not programed to work with the AOL browser. Using AOL for your internet connection does not affect the performance of the WebCD. Internet Explorer is preferred web browser.

To get the program to open using Internet Explorer you will need to set Internet Explorer as your default browser as this is the program that your local operating system will choose to open these file types with. Here are the steps to make this change:

- Open Internet Explorer
                        - Go to the Tools in the menubar and select Internet Options
                        - Go to the Programs tab in the Internet Options window
                        - In the Programs tab you will see a button to make Internet Explorer you default browser, click on this button
                        - Once this is complete re-open the program and it will open using Internet Explorer

We are sorry that you experienced these difficulties and hope you enjoy using the WebCD product in the future.

Comment

Aol

My experience with AOL has not been with them as my ISP, but the sender to the recipient and also attaching documents. Guess what AOL blocks them! I understand that their is a way to "toggle" or "unblock" but few AOL users seem to know how to do it.

I have been trying to email a document and link to an AOL user for over a week, and she can not get AOL to accept the email. This has been ongoing for several other AOL users that I have emailed to for about 2 years.

So it would seem the "browser" problem would be the same issue.

Good Luck

Sandy

Comment

Sandy, your friends problems with AOL is only a spam setting. AOL email system has nothing to do with the WebCD problem. The WebCD problem is only that the TMI programmer made the wrong assumptions on how to start their program. It obviously worked on the programmer's computer and that was good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                              To get the program to open using Internet Explorer you will need to set Internet Explorer as your default browser as this is the program that your local operating system will choose to open these file types with.
                              I have accomplished the steps to make WebCD work with IE 6.0. However, It seems that the only way to see content is to be "online". Is this correct? Content is not available offline? When I double-click the desktop icon I get something about "license expired" and a pop up to "connect or work offline". I select work offline and click the page link with the result of the pop up again "connect or work offline". It is a continual looping.

Comment

Working...
                              X