Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ITIN And SSN

Little rant.
    Going through a mess right now. Customer had tax returns filed under ITIN number for three years. During those three years he had a social security number that was on the W-2s but the preparer filed the tax returns under his ITIN.

Now me wanting to do the right thing back in 04 filed his return under his SSN. This opened a whole can of worms. The IRS continues to send notices for the three years his return was filed under the ITIN. I've called and called about this being told the accounts will be merged. I finally went to the advocate service. Customer said he received a letter stating that it was resolved at the end of October.

Well today I received notices on him again. What is going on? The IRS just needs to merge the accounts. I know the customer thinks I caused the problem. I just wanted to file the returns correctly.

I guess my biggest question is... why/how did the previous preparer file tax returns under the ITIN number when there was a SSN on the W-2? Isn't that wrong on the preparer's side and the IRS for letting it go through?

ITIN and SSN

How did he have both an ITIN and an SSN?

This is certainly not impossible, but it's not very common either.

The simple fact is that the largest group of people who have ITINs are illegal aliens. And it is very difficult for them to become legal.

You need to ask some tough questions. And ask to see the social security card.

Are you absolutely certain that the SSN is really his?

Many illegal aliens work using a bogus SSN, and the file their tax return with a legitimate ITIN. And this is the correct way to do it. The tax return should reflect the number that accurately identifies the taxpayer.

Burton M. Koss
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Hi Burton. Yes I am certain that the SS# is his. I actually prepare his W-2 for his employer and never got a reject from SS Administration. His previous employer also used the SS#. I have seen the SS Card also. First thing I did. Plus I didn't get any rejects from Efile. So I am pretty sure the number is legit.

I asked him a little information about it but probably not enough. I know he has a green card. I'll ask him exactly when he got the ITIN number.

"Many illegal aliens work using a bogus SSN, and the file their tax return with a legitimate ITIN. And this is the correct way to do it. The tax return should reflect the number that accurately identifies the taxpayer."

I knew they used it to file taxes but I didn't know they would use a bogus SSN and then file taxes with the ITIN. Well I guess if they are illegal they are not suppose to be working here and the employer can't use the ITIN for the W-2 can they.... because they are illegal. How about that the IRS doesn't care if they are legal just as long as they pay in their taxes.

Comment

I haven't read up

on the new rules, but I think you can actually file electronically a return using the SSN on the W-2, but showing the ITIN on the 1040. You are correct that a person with a legitimate SSN should not have an ITIN. It's possible that he had an ITIN prior to becoming 'legal'.

Eli

Comment

Maybe Identity Theft?

If Social Security Administration did not reject SSN, yes its a good SSN.

But that does'nt mean it can not belong to someone else, other than your client.

You mentioned IRS sent letter confirming that problem was taken care of. Do you have copy of correspondence for file? Once again if client told you verbally without documentation its all hearsay. He said she said routine.

Send client to Social Security Administration to get confirmation letter that number belongs to him. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
          X