Disregarded entity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disregarded entity

I have a client that is a single member LLC that made an 8832 elected to be treated as a C Corporation (the election was made before I did their corp.) Basically, he just had a HUD rental house that since it started been carryover a loss each year(currently in their fifth year). The NOL is about $20,000. It is my understanding that after 60 months the LLC can change the election and go back to be the default classification. I am not sure what happens to the Corporation. Do you treat it as liquidation and do a final return?

The C-corporation would result in a taxable liquidation and final tax return. The house and any other assets would be distributed (sold) to the shareholder/members of the LLC (individual as LLC disregarded) at FMV with any gain taxable to the C-corp. Any NOL would be lost and not deductible by anyone except the C-corp offsetting any C-corp gain from the sale/distribution of assets. The individual would have a gain or loss to report on form 1040 Sch-D for his C-corp investment ownership. The individual could then contribute (if not already titled that way) the house to his/her LLC at cost basis in exchange for LLC ownership basis.

Comment

Clients can surely get themselves into a mess when they do things without consulting first.
      Dave, EA

Comment

And!

Originally posted by dsi View Post
        Clients can surely get themselves into a mess when they do things without consulting first.
        even after consulting, Dave.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
          even after consulting, Dave.

Particularly if they ignore your advice!
          Dave, EA

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

Working...
            X