Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

divorce & exclusion of gain from sale of principle residence

H & W are divorced during 2006.

From selling their principle residence, $600,000 is the capital gain meeting exclusion requirements. Normally, only $250,000 exclusion is available when they file single/HOH return individually. One factor is that they agreed each other for only the Husband report 100% of the gain. Can the Husband exclude $500,000?

attorney earned her fee

>>Can the Husband exclude $500,000?<<

Obviously a single person can only exclude up to $250,000. The rest of the arrangement is simply a property division in the divorce. Too bad he didn't bring the agreement to you first. It would appear that his ex-wife's attorney earned her fee.

Comment

Hopefully there was a quid pro quo benefit to the husband in the property division in return for the tax bite. If not, as Jainen implies, sounds like malpractice on the husband's attorneys part.

Comment

All I meant

>>Jainen implies, sounds like malpractice<<

All I meant was that the OTHER attorney did a good job. That doesn't mean there was any malpractice. We have no idea what the guy's goals were. After all, he got the house, which is a point many men lose. For all we know, he may be thrilled that he was able to hang on to the $250,000 exclusion. The wife lost her exclusion completely.
        Last edited by jainen; 01-16-2007, 06:27 PM.

Comment

That's what I meant by quid pro quo.

Comment

Working...
          X