roth 401k Contribution amounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

roth 401k Contribution amounts

I am looking to set up a mini Roth 401k plan for a client with for 2007. The situation is a one person business with a profit of approximately $25,000 and an employee spouse making approximately $10,000. Both are 50 years old. Cash is no problem. Am I correct in assuming that the wife can make a full $10,000 contribution and the business owner can make a contribution of $20,500 on his behalf? Is it also true that the business owner can contribute another $20,500 for himself and another $10,000 for the spouse as an employer match? Seems like a pretty good deal for socking away non taxable money for the future, don't you think? Any drawbacks other than giving up the tax deductions that would be available with a regular 401k?

It is true that the elective deferrals for a Roth 401(k) is the same as a regular 401(k) - $15,500 in 2007 for someone under 50, and $20,500 if age 50 or older.

What is NOT true is your employer match. 401(k) plans, including Roth 401(k) plans are limited to 25% of combined wages for all participants prior to the reduction for elective deferrals. That means if your combined wages for the business owner and spouse are only $35,000, the contribution limit for the employer match for all employees is $8,750.

The good thing is the wage is not reduced for the elective deferral when applying this limit. So the 25% wage limit applies to $35,000 regardless of how much the employees elected to defer.

Note: If the business owner is self employed, the 25% wage limit is reduced to 20% of net SE income after the one-half SE tax deduction. The employee spouse would still get the 25% of W-2 wage limit.
    Last edited by Brad Imsdahl; 01-15-2007, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Lordparrotman

One other caution - I believe the employer's match CANNOT be placed into the Roth 401(K). The match must be placed into a traditional (pre-tax) 401(k) account. I think Brad gave you the correct calculations but I just wanted to caution you based on what I inferred from your post.

Comment

Clarification

So in this case, am I correct that the employee may contribute $10,000 to the plan and the employer may match that with an $8750 amount for the employee? The $8750 would then be a deductible amount for the owner on his Schedule C, right? The owner could then contribute $20,500 on his own behalf as well, which would go as a deduction from gross income on page one of the 1040, right? So the total going into the Roth 401k would be $39250, representing the maximum allowed. Do I have this about right?

Comment

no

If this is a Schedule C business, the employer’s match for a spouse employee of the Schedule C business owner would go on Schedule C as a deduction, but the employer’s match for the sole proprietor would have to go on the front of the 1040 as a contribution to a self employed plan. The two are not going to total $8,750 since you are going to be limited to the 20% of net SE income minus the one half of SE tax deduction.

The elective deferrals as designated Roth 401(k) contributions are after tax contributions, so they do not get deducted anywhere.

Comment

ok

I think i got it now, thanks.....

Comment

One further point of clarification: When I said the designated Roth 401(k) contributions do not get deducted anywhere, I meant that in the sense of there being a separate retirement plan contribution category. They are not deducted separately as a retirement plan contribution because they are after tax contributions.

For the employee spouse, if she has $10,000 in gross W-2 wages, she can elect to defer up to $10,000 and have that money deposited into a designated Roth 401(k) plan. That elective deferral is not deducted separately as a retirement plan contribution, but the $10,000 of W-2 income is a deduction for the Schedule C business as wages paid. In contrast, the sole proprietor is self employed and not an employee. His elective deferral into a designated Roth 401(k) plan does not get deducted anywhere on the return, because sole proprietors cannot deduct their own owner’s withdrawals.

Comment

Originally posted by New York Enrolled Agent View Post
                Lordparrotman

One other caution - I believe the employer's match CANNOT be placed into the Roth 401(K). The match must be placed into a traditional (pre-tax) 401(k) account. I think Brad gave you the correct calculations but I just wanted to caution you based on what I inferred from your post.

NY EA this is how I understand it as well. The employer portion goes into regular 401k and the employe can decide.

Comment

Working...
                X