Keeping non-business records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping non-business records

I know the rules about keeping business records and for how long.

However, what about keeping records relating to personal items that are not used on my tax return: home utility bills, personal vehicle expenses, home telephone bills, grocery bills, personal charge accounts, etc.
    Jiggers, EA

personal records

Jiggers, maybe I'm reading your post not in a way that you intended but my question is, why are you concerned about records that are personnel and not related to your taxes?
    ken

Comment

keeping personal expense records

There is no law requiring a taxpayer to keep records or receipts or canceled checks of personal expenses except where they may be deducted on schedule A or as an office in home expense or business expense.
      I keep canceled checks and receipts of stamps I use for personal use to prove I did not deduct this. I also keep receipts and canceled checks for stamps used for business. If a taxpayer keeps cancelled checks for
      all or most personal expenses, it makes it easier for IRS to prepare an indirect method
      computation searching for unreported income.

Comment

Personal records may be required in the case of assets with a life of more than one year.

For example, if you sell your used underwear at a garage sale for more than you paid for it, you need to report that transaction on Schedule D and be able to prove your cost basis in the underwear.

Side note: Why did Congress feel the need to tell taxpayers that the IRS is authorized to disallow your charitable donation of used socks and underwear?

Comment

what they say

I don't care what they say, I'm keeping my Bob Wills records forever. The CD compilations don't sound the same.

Comment

Working...
          X