Sex, lies, and videotape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sex, lies, and videotape

Aw, it's nothin'. I just wanted to see how many "hits" I'd get using a title like that.

I'm takin' a psychology course, so it's all in the interest of science, you see.

----"What do women want?" -- SIGMUND FREUD

Hits

Along the same line as my 2006 tax alert (see below).

Seem like the interest is a little mixed up. (check hits)
    Confucius say:
    He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Do Not be disheartened

After all, Halloween is just a couple of evenings away. What with all the ghosts,
      goblins, Scarecrows and Black Barts running around, people do have other things on
      their minds. Now yall go have a good weekend.

Comment

what does that say about tax preparers... we are more interested in tax updates then... well the title of this thread

Comment

Interest

Originally posted by RLymanC
          Along the same line as my 2006 tax alert (see below).

Seem like the interest is a little mixed up. (check hits)
          Billy Crystal to Jack Palance: "Killed anybody yet today, Curly?"

Reply: "Day ain't over yet."

P.S. Snag wasn't saying that you needed to respond to anybody. He was saying that he was giving you a response (since nobody else had replied to your message).

Comment

History Lesson-BBart

A paragraph from the San Franciso museum site.
            I left the part out about serving in the civil war. The below uses the word "was", but BB lives.

Black Bart was a person of great endurance, a thorough mountaineer, who was probably unexcelled in making quick transit over mountains and steep grades. He was comparatively well educated, a general reader and well informed on current topics. He was cool, self-contained, with humorous tendencies, and after his arrest exhibited genuine wit under most trying circumstances. He was neat and tidy in his dress, highly respectable in appearance, polite in behavior, rather chaste in his language, never used profanity, and was not known to have gambled or to have bought pools in races, or every having dealt in mining stocks.
            Confucius say:
            He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Originally posted by Bird Legs
              After all, Halloween is just a couple of evenings away. What with all the ghosts,
              goblins, Scarecrows and Black Barts running around, people do have other things on
              their minds. Now yall go have a good weekend.
              I can't run around. I've been stuck here for quit some time now.

Comment

Re: Sex, lies, and videotape

Originally posted by geekgirldany
                what does that say about tax preparers... we are more interested in tax updates then... well the title of this thread
                Dear Ms. Dany,

Yes, it is a tad sad isn't it. The popular presumption amongst the general public that we (tax preparers & accountants) have liquid toner running through our veins rather that blood may not be entirely drawn from myth (if this sounds like sour grapes, I ain't above it).

Still, I am most delighted to obtain your gender's perspective of this important sociological phenomenon. Please tell me; what is it that inspires such fervid ardor and piques the feminine yearning for videotape?

Comment

Thank you, RLymanC, for

Originally posted by RLymanC
                  A paragraph from the San Franciso museum site.
                  I left the part out about serving in the civil war. The below uses the word "was", but BB lives.

Black Bart was a person of great endurance, a thorough mountaineer, who was probably unexcelled in making quick transit over mountains and steep grades. He was comparatively well educated, a general reader and well informed on current topics. He was cool, self-contained, with humorous tendencies, and after his arrest exhibited genuine wit under most trying circumstances. He was neat and tidy in his dress, highly respectable in appearance, polite in behavior, rather chaste in his language, never used profanity, and was not known to have gambled or to have bought pools in races, or every having dealt in mining stocks.
                  the kudos. Actually I was inspired by the notorious 19th century California road agent. However, in the interest of accuracy, I feel that a few of the remarks (once true-no longer) should be stricken from the record; namely:

(1) ...great endurance...unexcelled quick transit...steep grades... (I lost my last two swivel chair races).

(2) ...never used profanity... (a virtual impossibility in dealing with the public for those lacking the patience and demeanor of, say, our esteemed colleague, the "Chief." Also, I believe the "real" BB once addressed his captors and/or robbees as "you fine-haired SOB's," whatever that means; maybe thinning hair or good barbers).

(3) ...not known to have gambled...bought pools...mining stocks... (I've lost my shirt in the market several times--not to mention investing in "Smart" Twin Halfacre's disastrous precious gems scheme).

Thanks again.

Best regards, BB II

Comment

John of PA

I don't blame geekgirldandy for not responding and I hope she does not. You can tell your professor that S,L & V is typical trash our culture throws at us. What I have found is that women have no interest in S,L & V but would feel more dignified with SECURITY, TRUTH & REALITY.

Comment

"...the feminine yearning for videotape..."

Originally posted by John of PA
                      I don't blame geekgirldandy for not responding and I hope she does not. You can tell your professor that S,L & V is typical trash our culture throws at us. What I have found is that women have no interest in S,L & V but would feel more dignified with SECURITY, TRUTH & REALITY.
                      was a joke, John. I was attempting a bit of levity. Have I failed somewhat? (Ms. Dany; you may be excused from answering).

Still..., if you want to discuss the larger cultural issues, then I suppose we can. Yes, I'm well aware that morality in general has suffered a decine of late. However, other than adhering to the best personal standard that we possibly can, and resolving to set a positive example for others (I assume you feel I'm also remiss in this regard); what else can we do? Don sackcloth and ashes? Practice self-flagellation? Frequent bars while ranting "the end is near!"

As to the professor, I have a feeling that somewhere along the way to becoming a college instructor, he may have already noticed (assuming that his IQ is above that of a turnip) that "family values" are marching steadily downhill. How do you suggest I broach the subject? Should I simply walk to his desk and ask, "Listen, have you noticed that SECURITY, TRUTH, and REALITY have vanished and been replaced by SEX, LIES, and VIDEOTAPE? And, oh yeah, one of my colleagues complains that this cultural trash class is making his toner-pressure rise.

I must say that's a unique group of women you've encountered. While they've got their diginity to keep them warm, we may have something in common. That one that says "have no interest in S," well, I think I know that ole gal.

Comment

The reason I haven't responed yet is because I had to look up the following words:

fervid = Marked by great passion or zeal
                        ardor = Fiery intensity of feeling
                        piques = To cause to feel resentment or indignation

And this country gal still doesn't know how to respond ha!

to me S,L,V stands for
                        Security, Love, and if things don't work out well Vengeance

Comment

S,l,v

I find your response a good one, Geekgirldandy. And I'am glad to hear, BlackBart that we have something in common. Sorry for the overeaction; perhaps my response would be a good one to report back to the professor. Our circle of friends, for the most part, are sort of a Orthadox Catholic Almish. Traditional, anti-culture; the daughters wear long dresses and have an American Doll (rather than Barbie or the Brat doll). We are about the smallest family with 4 kids. most have 5 or 6, one has 9, another 11, and another 18 adopted children (they were written up in Good Housekeeping once).. Most homeschool their children. I hold very high respect for these women; as they know what they believe, live thier faith, and will win every argument with you hands down before you even realize your loosing the argument. And all this is rewareded by Congress with the personal exemption deductions and the child credits.

Comment

Okay. Peace.

I'm sorry, too. I occasionally get carried away with my own rants, even if I'm not at a bar. With that Amish background, you, as well as your womenfolk, are apparently "walking the walk" and "talking the talk" of a moral lifestyle, and as such, deserve our respect and admiration. Please excuse my outburst.

Regarding your neighbors' average exemptions for the kids; I never thought of a large family in that context, but, yeah, I'll bet some of y'all actually look forward to tax time since the child tax credit is now refundable.

Note to Ms. Dany--a secondary definition of "pique" is "to provoke" or "to generate interest," as in "The book picqued her curiosity."

Best regards, BB

Comment

It is too bad, though,

that congress will not reward these stay at home moms, that do not have income to help
                              support the family, with the child care credit.

Comment

Working...
                              X