Contribution for Sep IRA or Solo 401K for 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contribution for Sep IRA or Solo 401K for 2006

TP is 57 years young and self employed. Will a Solo 401K plan allow TP to exceed the $44,000 limitation contribution for 2006 that is allowed in a SEP-IRA?

Self employed

is limited to 20% of net SE income after one-half SE tax deduction. See page 13-2 of TTB

Comment

I assume the question is whether or not the elective deferrals are also limited by the $44,000 maximum contribution. The answer is yes. The combination of elective deferrals, plus the employer's contribution is limited to $44,000 for 2006.

Comment

I'm not sure I agree in full.

Catch-up contributions are not allowed in "ordinary" SEPs (they are ok in SAR-SEPs) so I agree fully that $44K is the maximum for a SEP contribution.

However, with a mild vehemence (because I'm not sure I'm correct ) I think because of the availability of catch-up contributions you can do $49K in the Solo 401(k).

IRC §414(v) discusses catch-ups. In particular, §414(v)(3) says the following:

[(3) Treatment of contributions.
        In the case of any contribution to a plan under paragraph (1) —

(A) such contribution shall not, with respect to the year in which the contribution is made—

(i) be subject to any otherwise applicable limitation contained in sections ... , 415(c) , and ... or ... ]

IRC §415(c) is where the over all contribution limits are found. So, if I read §414(v)(3) correctly it says the catch-ups are above and beyond the basic overall limit. As I noted above, I cannot argue with great vehemence but I would welcome any thoughts. FWIW, in the December issue of Kiplinger's magazine, it was stated that a 50 or older could do $49K. I know this is NOT authority but ...

Comment

Working...
        X