Interest income on loan to Shareholder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest income on loan to Shareholder

I understand that 'technically' one must show intererst income when a Corporation loans money to the sole shareholder. But of course, i certainly don't like showing income if I don't have to.

Someone once told me that it's really not a big deal and not necessary (can't remember if it was a 1065 or an 1120 or what the $$$ amts were).

My thoughts are "throw them a bone." Meaning that if there is both a beginning and ending SH loan balance on the schedul L then i'll show some interest income. But maybe my calculation of interest earned will favor the shareholder.

Any thoughts?

Just suppose

S corp shareholder (president and chief bottlewasher) borrows 1000 from the corporation.
    So end of year you attribute 60$ of interest income to the corporation from the
    shareholder. What have you got?

Shareholder can't deduct the interest (personal in nature) and corporation has 60$
    interest income which passes through to the shareholder.

Duh!
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

There is.....

... $10,000 threshold. Less than that is of no interest consequence.

Shareholder loans from an S corp can cause a distribution problem.
      Last edited by BOB W; 01-08-2007, 06:35 PM.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Thanks for responding.

Comment

Working...
        X