Who calculates support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who calculates support?

I'm wondering. How many preparer's simply explain the components of support, or the cost of maintaining a home and then ask; "Have you contributed more than 50%". Or, how many actually try to complete a worksheet to answer the question. My guess a worksheet or calculation is rarely done by a preparer, unless the taxpayer just isn't sure. I've never had anyone say, "I don't know" the answer has always been "yes".

Same here. I've never had anyone who did an actual calculation.
    Dave, EA

Comment

the way we want

>>a worksheet or calculation is rarely done<<

I do it two or three times a year, generally not in much detail. I don't think I did any worksheet last year; probably QC rules have cut out most because they were usually kids getting welfare or help from grandparents. I do a few Head of Household calcs too. Blank paper, not a form. Just takes a minute, and the clients appreciate the explanation. You'd be surprised how often it comes out just the way we want!

Comment

And I probably lost a new client last year

Because I insisted on doing the numbers for her mother who lived in a separate house
        owned by her. Previous preparer had ALWAYS allowed the exemption.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

college students

I do quicky support tests where college students are providing a substantial amount of their own support either through assets in their name and /or work income.

Comment

playing it by ear

I generally do not fill out the worksheet. I have certain times when I think it is close or unsure if the cleint is truthful.

I do always explain to them the process and sometimes give them the worksheet to look at . I have found this is usually sufficient.

Comment

Actually I have

CFS Tax Tools has a worksheet which is quite good and I find in the past I have used it several times a year. Also for years was in the QF book, haven't looked for it in TB since I use CFS software. I have the client complete on the paper form and then we discuss and then I re enter with appropriate changes on the computerized form.

CFS Tax Tools also has some good flow thru charts that you can use on the computer to determine the filing status and dependency status. Altho a little more complicated since the 2005 filings.

S
              Last edited by S T; 01-10-2007, 03:25 AM. Reason: clarify

Comment

Working...
              X