in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in California

If you aren't in California you don't have to worry about this (yet). Just laugh nervously and wait it out. Actually you may be able to help if you are from somewhere that allows a couple to file joint on the state and separate on the federal.

Well, California doesn't allow that but it does now allow joint on the state and SINGLE on the federal! Yep, marriage is optional here--man/woman, it doesn't matter. Of course there are some requirements and you have to sign up and all, kind of the opposite of don't ask don't tell. MFJ and S.

I don't have a problem with the lifestyle choice, but how am I supposed to do tax planning? Community property laws apply for the state but are not recognized for the federal return. And then the federal return is used for key state limits like AGI and capital loss and it goes on and on. Nobody seems to know what to do. I hope they figure it out soon because this isn't something to be phased in. It's here, now.

The next problem

is how to get three spouses on one return? Now that's a community.
    Last edited by veritas; 01-06-2007, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Mfj/s

Jainen,

I read about this a couple of months ago and have not seen thing else on the topic.

I only have 3 gay/lesbian couples, but they have no intention of filing like this. We have talked about it in the past, if the opportunity should arise. So, maybe, we should revisit our options this year? What a time-consuming mess this is going to be.

Dennis

Comment

Doesn't this apply

to 2007 filings? I agree it will be a nightmare for planning.
        Sandy >^..^<

Comment

Law starts for TY 2007. Registered Domestic Partners are required to file a joint return (MFJ) or (MFS). One more step is the planning process. Could be a way to drum up more business if you do business in Pelosi's next of the woods or West Hollywood. Be an expert in Tax Planning for Registered Domestic Partners. Tax law changes are always good to get more business

Comment

Working...
          X