NY city taxes paid as NJ resident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NY city taxes paid as NJ resident

If a worker who lives in New Jersey and works in NYC, wages are taxed by NYC, is there a way the worker can tell his employer to exempt his wages from NYC tax?

Sorry my question is basic, I don't handle too many NYC or NJ returns.

TIA.
    Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

No NY City tax

NY City does not tax non residents. Employee needs to tell employer he is a NJ resident. Then employer will not withhold.

Comment

No

Tia, I wouldn't think so. This is New York source income, and I would think ANYONE with NY source income, especially NYC, is going to be taxed at the source.

Living in the Sunny South, I don't encounter this very often either. Bob W lives on Long Island and if sees your post, he will probably answer.

I can almost guarantee you he cannot be exempt from NYC income taxes, but there might be a reciprocity agreement which prevents the employee from having to FILE. Of course this means that there is no refund and no tax due -- whatever is withheld is just kept. But I don't know whether there is a reciprocity arrangement with NJ and any of the boroughs or not. I DO know that in general, the taxing authorities in both states are at each other's throat all the time. They just don't like each other.

I'm going to add this paragraph as an edit. I just read KramBergs post. He lives in Massachusetts and probably knows what he's talking about...

Comment

True....,

... NYC does not tax non-residents of NYC, but NYS does as a Non-Resident worker in NYS. I hesitated in answering this question earlier because some time ago ( 5+years) NYC was not giving NJ residents the same status as NY residents working in NYC, and as of this writing I still have some doubts, but am confident that issue has been resolved.

So, NYS taxes should be withheld but not NYC taxes for any Non-Resident of NYC.
        Last edited by BOB W; 01-05-2007, 03:07 PM.
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Dave
          If the taxpayer lives in New Jersey but works in New York, the taxpayer is subject to New York STATE tax as a non-resident. Kram is correct - the NY CITY tax on non-residents was repealed a number of years ago.

Check to see if the withholding is actually NY state withholding. In any case, file a NY IT-203 and you can claim whatever withholding is on the W-2.

Comment

Nys/nyc......

may question a W-2/tax return when NYC taxes are withheld because they will assume that you had a residence in NYC for some or all of the year. It is usually a quick fix but pesty. You may want to complete the "days worked " section on the IT-203 to block off any letters.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Thanks for all of your help

I appreciate your time.
              Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

Working...
              X