S Corp. with C Corp. owner - OOOPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S Corp. with C Corp. owner - OOOPS

I just picked up a new client and we are starting to prepare some old tax returns 2003 - 2005. Upon review of his account we realized that one of the owners of the S Corp. is a C Corp. What do we do now? Does the S Corp. automatically convert to a C Corp.? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, the S corp terminates. However, if you take steps to correct the situation (like transfer the S corp stock owned by the C corp to the C corp individual owners), the IRS might allow the S corp to remain an S corp.

TTB, page 19-5 talks about Inadvertent Terminations. You need IRS permission to cancel the termination.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamacher View Post
      I just picked up a new client and we are starting to prepare some old tax returns 2003 - 2005. Upon review of his account we realized that one of the owners of the S Corp. is a C Corp. What do we do now? Does the S Corp. automatically convert to a C Corp.? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
      Who originally formed the corporation. Was it the client? An attorney (I hope)?

Comment

Originally posted by veritas View Post
        Who originally formed the corporation. Was it the client? An attorney (I hope)?
        I believe his attorney formed the Corporation, but I have to confirm that.

Comment

Working...
        X