Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mailing Completed Returns to Customer

Greetings all-

I am just starting my own practice this year (individual returns only), and have a rather simple question that I'd like input on.

When you mail your final copy of the client's return, do you send it via mail, or a service such as UPS? Do you use tracking, and do you require signing for the return?

My plan was to use USPS Priority mail (which provides tracking free when labels are printed from the USPS site), but it seems so many just use regular mail. Just seems with so much confidential information, including social sencurity numbers, I thought it to be a good cautious step.

Also, for clients that that will efile, do you send the entire COMPLETED return and then ask for the 8879 to be sent back, or do you send a copy marked "client copy" with the 8879? I kind of wonder if some might use the completed return and just mail it otherwise...(though I guess they could always copy it too...)

Thanks for your input, and I welcome any other suggestions.

Beth

I generally send it the most effective and cheapest way possible. Usually regular mail unless we are up against a time deadline then I UPS/Fedex next day. Never had a lost return yet.

I will mail the 8879 to client and once I get them back along with payment I mail them a copy of final return. If client wants to see return before signing 8879 they can come to my offce or I will fax, email,mail copy of return stamped "draft not to be filed"

Comment

Not sure I follow you,

Are you saying that you do the taxes and then mail the returns to the client? If yes, can't they come to your office?

Comment

next month

I have two practices. One is as an employee in an accounting office. The other is a group of long-term private clients, mostly in another city. I don't really have a regular office for them.

I have easy access to UPS so that's what I use. I send the whole package with a pre-stamped envelope so they can easily return the 8879 along with a check. Half the time it's just the 8879, but I efile it anyway and the check usually shows up after the first of the next month.
        Last edited by jainen; 12-27-2006, 09:17 PM.

Comment

mailing returns

For clients who live out of the area or who don't want to come to my office, I mail their returns USPS with tracking. If it's near the filing deadline, I use Fed Ex. For efile clients, I enclose a self addressed envelope for the 8879. I don't require signature for delivery. I stamp the return "client copy" which includes as copy of the 8879 (also stamped "client copy". I enclose a separate 8879 with the return envelope. I want the client to be able to review the return before they sign the 8879.

I'd be happy if all my clients wanted me to mail their returns. I have a one room office and clients have to make an appointment to pick up their returns so they don't run into other clients. It saves me time to mail the return. I mail about 20% of them but wish the % was higher.

I email complete returns to approx 5% of my clients.

Comment

Mailing Returns

Thank you all for sharing yur methods. I will be working out of my home office, but do have some out of town clients. I will give in town clients a choice of my mailing everything, or their stopping by (I agree by appointment) or during a specified window.

I thought that the client really needed to see their return to sign the 8879, as they are signing that they believe it is correct-am I off on this?

Comment

They are

supposed to review the return before signing 8879.

Comment

Jurat

Originally posted by veritas
                supposed to review the return before signing 8879.
                The way I read the jurat on the computer screen, was they could review the return on the computer and still sign the 8879
                JG

Comment

Welcome to Beth

Beth, welcome to the whacky world of tax prep, and to the message board. I think you'll find the people frequently on this board very helpful.

I will comment that if you e-file many of your returns, there is absolutely no compunction whatsoever for a speedy return to a copy to the client, therefore these customers should get the cheapest form available. I use the US Mail for them (first class).

I think the US Mail would work fine for the rest of your customers but there have been several suggestions above which might fit your circumstances better.

Special problems are created for customers who make their appointment after April 1st.
                  Your fee structure should be bumped up, for these, as you will find yourself going to a lot of extra trouble (such as priority mail and alternates), late nights, stress, and other problems caused by deadlines.

Good luck - I've been at this almost 30 years and I hope you will enjoy it as I have.

Regards, Ron J.

Comment

Lookin' at it.

Originally posted by Beth
                    I thought that the client really needed to see their return to sign the 8879, as they are signing that they believe it is correct-am I off on this?
                    Per 8879 instructions: "Taxpayers have the following responsibilities: (a) to verify the accuracy of the prepared income tax return or request for refund, including direct deposit information." So I think you're right -- they need to see it before signing 8879. But your good question remains -- will they copy it/pay you?

Many seem to be mailing out most returns -- a foreign concept to me. About 495 of my 500 clients pick up and pay at my office (accounts receivable-$930). The others (trusted out-of-towners) are sent "certified mail with return receipt"-- costs $3 and the signed green card is sent back to me. If I had to mail everything, I'd use standard USPS (not a bad risk though -- jokes aside; our post office is efficient).

Live and learn I guess -- everybody does what works for them. Natiro would like to mail it all and I would too; except for different reasons. I've got clients I never want to see again (including one low-down, high-smellin' dolt of whom a client/doctor once remarked, "I'd like to refer him to Dr. Kevorkian").

Still, how do you get paid? In advance? Charge it (I'd hate to carry everybody on A/R)? I like a simple operation -- I have zero appointments. People walk in, leave their stuff, return in three days (tough/box/sack cases--a week to a month), sign all, pay me, and are (usually) gone in five-ten minutes. It suits me and them both.

Simplify, simplify. -- H. D. THOREAU

Comment

I always mail the client's copy of the return to the client along with a Form 8879 for them to sign and mail back to me. The cover letter says to please review their return first, then after they have verified that it is correct, sign and mail the 8879 back to me. After they send the 8879 back to me, then and only then do I e-file the return. After receiving an acknowledgement from IRS that the return was accepted, then I mail the copy of the acknowledgement back to them.

I've never lost a return yet. This procedures ensures that the client had plenty of chance to review the return before signing the authorization for me to e-file. It also acts as a liability shift from me to the client in that by signing the 8879 and mailing it back to me, they have taken responsibility for the accuracy of the return.

Of course if I did make a mistake, I would still take responsibility for my error. But if they are the ones that forgot income or a deduction, I've got proof they took responsibility for that error.

Comment

I also mail a complete copy of the tax return, the Form 8879, their documents and my invoice. The client knows I will not file the return until I received the Form 8879 back. And lo & behold, the form almost always comes back with my check. This saves me from being interrupted while working on tax returns and having a 15 minute discussion with the client which I usually can't bill for. Also, I make a post office trip generally every other day, so I can send quite a few tax returns in that time.

I also encourage my clients to mail me their info & they know I'll call or e-mail if I have questions. They're busy too and generally are happy to hear they can do it that way. I usually meet with new clients the first year though.

Comment

I guess I defer from a few of you in that I want to meet with my clients as much as possible . I prefer that they come in for an appointment and come to pick up their return if possible. I prefer this for two reasons , 1) for most of my clients I enjoy talking to them , they are for the most part nice people, now some are knuckleheads. 2) it is hard to cross sell or talk to someone about an IRA or 401k over the phone. The integrated cross selling is what has made my offices successful and the only practical way of doing this that I am aware of is by face to face interaction, more time the better.

Comment

Mailing Return

95% of my returns are done with the client present. Client looks over the return, signs the 8879 and pays the bill. This way, no second trip. Works well in most cases.

Comment

Try this for those who do come to the office:

Originally posted by KJ Judd
                              I also mail a complete copy...

This saves me from being interrupted while working on tax returns and having a 15 minute discussion with the client which I usually can't bill for.
                              If you've got a chatterbox that won't shut up and go away, slide their papers across the desk and your chair back, stand up, stick out your hand and say "Well, okay, I guess that about takes care of everything. Thanks for your business and we do appreciate it." All but the most dense will take this strong hint. For the raffish oafs who won't; say you'd like to talk but you've got work you must do right away.

Comment

Working...
                              X