To toll the truth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To toll the truth

This tax business is so crazy that sometimes truth is stranger than fiction--and not everyone can always tell the difference!

To explore this idea, I wrote up a dozen crazy stories. It was my sorry idea of a practical joke, quickly labeled “bogus information” by our moderator. But the really crazy thing is, one of the twelve stories is actually TRUE. So take a break from your last-minute online CPE course, and figure out which one it is.

To get things rolling, I’ll tell you it isn’t the Schedule A audits, even though that story is correctly based on an actual tax law.

Form 8332-AMT
    Tax-deductible fast food
    Std mileage for stolen car
    Unethical engagement letters
    Virtual profit
    Drafted soldiers
    Schedule D and the SEC
    QSP filing status
    Line 42 worksheet
    Schedule A audits
    W-4 RAL’s
    Losses Prove It’s a Business

Well Jainen maybe our Arkansas friend can do a poll on this?

My vote is for either w-4 rals or losse's prove it's a business. Why because they seem like it could be possible.

Comment

Toll Poll

Originally posted by sea-tax
      Well Jainen maybe our Arkansas friend can do a poll on this?

My vote is for either w-4 rals or losse's prove it's a business. Why because they seem like it could be possible.
      He'll have to kill off another answer -- polls only allow ten choices.

Comment

well Jainen it looks like I am the only one willing to take a stab at it. So can I at least know the answer. Maybe you can private msg me.

Comment

The true story

The true story is the one about Everquest and the virtual profits. Notice that it is the only one that does not claim that something has already been decided.

As Brad discovered on E-bay, just because cyberspace assets are intangibles doesn’t mean they don’t have a real dollar value. Some analysts are even predicting that game moderators will have to issue 1099’s. At any rate, Dan Miller is a real government economist and Congress is indeed questing after those hoards of dragon gold!

And this post does not need the disclaimer.

Comment

I guess I was way off. Thanks Jainen for the post I think I might have to go back and read that oone again.

Comment

Originally posted by jainen
              The true story is the one about Everquest and the virtual profits. Notice that it is the only one that does not claim that something has already been decided.

As Brad discovered on E-bay, just because cyberspace assets are intangibles doesn’t mean they don’t have a real dollar value. Some analysts are even predicting that game moderators will have to issue 1099’s.

I believe that is the one where OldJack was giving me a hard time.

Do I win a prize or something?

Comment

Where are the stories?

Guess I'm dense. But where do I go to read the stories? Or do we just guess at which one sounds reasonable?

Linda F

Comment

Jainen posts

Linda, look at posts STARTED by Jainen over the last 3 weeks or so. These start with a disclaimer (as Brad required to curtail mis-information).

And they read like a press release, sorta like announcements from a spokesman. And in each case, there is a bizarre theme, however, with just enough truth to tempt your imagination into thinking it could be true....

Comment

Working...
                  X