Strange Phone Call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are old...

My first was the Osbourne 1. 4" screen, that was FOUR INCHES, kiddies. No hard drive, two floppy drives. It was ~portable, folded up into a suitcase, weighted 29 pounds. Came with SuperCalc, an early spreadsheet. I carried that sucker to many a client's office. That was ok, but carrying the 9-pin dot matrix printer and a stack of tractor feed paper was the pits.

Christopher Mewhort, EA, CGA
    Kailua, HI 96734

where there is no sign of snow, the temp is a nice 80 degrees, and there is a nice breeze coming in over the beach.

Comment

I guess you all are old That is great though I would wear it like a badge of courage.
      I on the other hand only go back as far as the comador 64 I think it was.

Comment

programming the TRS 80

I got a TRS 80 and after I learned 'basic', I found that my company had something they called VS basic. I was soon the leading basic programmer in the Reguatory and Compliance Group. My most elaborate program was one in which you input the mol percent of a gas sample from a chromatograph analysis and it would calculate the GPM for inerts, methane, ethane, butane, propane and pentanes plus content, the BTU and the 26# RVP gasoline content. The results usually agreed with the purchasers reports but the boss liked for us to recalculate it (which was virtually impossible without the computer program. The progam also gave the BTU both on a 'dry' basis and a fully saturated with water vapor basis--and purchasers often paid on the wrong basis, resulting in significant dollar differences.

Comment

Well.......

Originally posted by Joe Btfsplk
          I got a TRS 80 and after I learned 'basic', I found that my company had something they called VS basic. I was soon the leading basic programmer in the Reguatory and Compliance Group. My most elaborate program was one in which you input the mol percent of a gas sample from a chromatograph analysis and it would calculate the GPM for inerts, methane, ethane, butane, propane and pentanes plus content, the BTU and the 26# RVP gasoline content. The results usually agreed with the purchasers reports but the boss liked for us to recalculate it (which was virtually impossible without the computer program. The progam also gave the BTU both on a 'dry' basis and a fully saturated with water vapor basis--and purchasers often paid on the wrong basis, resulting in significant dollar differences.
          Well that will put us all to shame......................

All I learned to do was use symbols to add, subtract,,multiply and divide.
          Last edited by BOB W; 12-22-2006, 09:16 AM.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

The list

Originally posted by outwest
            that distinctive sound of digital data on playback!!

Doug
            Now you put me in mind of a particular program I had written to generate
            a client "list". Name of program was "List.bas"
            One day riding along in car with son, I had a bunch of tapes and told son
            to get the Liszt tape so we could listen to it. You know the one he picked
            by now of course.

that "distinctive sound of digital data on playback" did NOT sound like a piano!

Holiday ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

was it

Originally posted by OldJack
              Probably long before your time. Ha! It was the most popular pc computer that pre-dated the first IBM-PC. I bought a competitor pc, name I don't remember, running CPM operating system and then switched to the "new" DOS from Microsoft the year it came out. My PC had one "single" sided floppy with a green display and 64k memory (thats "k" not meg or gig).
              A Commodore? Or. that first portable computer which has a fold out keyboard?
              Key... Kay pro!

Holiday ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA
              who still has his first computer; called an adding machine with tape. With handle
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
              X