Dumb Question of the day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb Question of the day?

This may be a dumb question, but, when you are preparing a clients return, and you put an initial, such as John J Doe, do you put a period after the J or not? I have seen it done both ways. Just curious.

No punctuation

Some software doesnt like punctuation like the Adobe forms on the IRS website for Form SS-4 So as a matter of habit Ive gotten in the habit of not using periods commas etc when completing a return
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

No.

I never use periods, commas, etc. on income tax returns and thought ATX didn't take it, but I went into the program and it will -- I've just never done it. But anyway, IRS doesn't like punctuation (especially on W-2s and 1099s) so I'm accommodating them.

Comment

What about Post Office?

Do you PO Box, P.O. Box, or P O Box (with no period and a space)?

We try to pick a way and stick to it. For tax software - no periods at all.

Also, do you use all caps? I think this leads to less mistakes, but do you think it looks better typed in both upper and lower case letters?
        JG

Comment

All...............

CAPITALS and no periods..............
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I do it like this

Originally posted by JG EA

P O Box (with no period and a space)

use all caps...less mistakes...think it looks better typed in...upper...case letters
            Although I'm thinking IRS runs PO together in their correspondence, I don't like the way that looks so I space it out.

Comment

I go with PO Box. I have used Upper/lower case letters, but am thinking of switching to all caps this season. As I recall, on the state of California return, it puts it in all caps no matter how it's typed in. I'm pretty sure that's a requirement for Calif and my software (Lacerte) does it that way.

Comment

all in

uppercase looks unprofessional to me.

Comment

Address formatting

The US Postal Service has a set of guidelines that have been in effect for many years concerning the best format for names and addresses on anything that you mail.

A lot of tax software is driven by these guidelines, which in turn are driven by two other factors: (1) industry research on "readability," in other words, what is easiest for the human eye to read, with a minimum of errors, and (2) machine readability. The postal service and many other operations use machines to read addresses and other data.

The USPS guidelines are a dense government document. (Did you expect something different?) The guidelines deal with hundreds of variables, such as foreign country abbreviations, rural routes, apartment numbers, and so forth.

The short version is this:

For simple, residential addresses, the United States Postal Service recommends all capitals and no punctuation, and a set of standardized abbreviations that we are all familiar with.

Like this:

BURTON M KOSS
                  3132 WALDEN PL
                  GROVE CITY OH 43123
                  Burton M. Koss
                  koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Don't use

the mail much anymore. Almost all electronic.

Comment

I use all caps on the tax return except for the client letter, which I use, mixed letters

Comment

Dumb question of the Day

Considering the responses this dumb question was not so dumb after all. I believe
                        this board is for just such questionsl.
                        Our software uses no periods, hyphens, etc etc and only uses caps.

Comment

I enter all info on Tax Returns as Capitals and will use punctuation .

Comment

Christmas Cards

Originally posted by veritas
                            the mail much anymore. Almost all electronic.
                            But what do you do about these?

Comment

RE: Dumb Question

My returns are all caps with no punctuation. I am not sure, but I think the software automatically makes everything all caps. I will have to check.
                              Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Working...
                              X