Tax-deductible fast food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax-deductible fast food?

Disclaimer: This is part of a series of posts that forum moderators have identified as containing “bogus information.”

National restaurant chains are gearing up for a new twist in the post-holiday diet season. Starting New Year’s Day, they will provide “health clinic” memberships that will be tax-deductible as a medical expense. This builds on a long-standing IRS policy (Revenue Ruling 2002-19) that considers obesity to be a disease and allows a tax deduction for prescription weight-loss programs. Most states do not require a medical license for weight-loss practitioners, so the restaurants will train franchise managers to make the diagnosis and prescription for their customers.

“We will not offer new menu items because our food is already very healthy,” explained one CEO whose company specializes in Mexican-style meals. “The emphasis will be on cutting calories through smaller portions.” Membership meals will be served with Calorie-Counter tokens, as well as a foil doggie bag so you can save some of your purchase for later instead of eating it all at once. The tokens can be exchanged for free food when you collect a certain number of calories.

The tax deduction is only allowed for the extra cost of diet food over regular food. To meet this requirement, the health clinics will offer normal portions at super-sized prices. Although this costs more than the same items on the regular menu, it is tax-deductible and reduces calories by at least 12%. “Our goal is to leave the customer hungry for more,” said the top executive.
    Last edited by jainen; 12-17-2006, 04:26 PM.

Okay, you're fat! said the restaurant manager

I'm aghast at such a proposition. Where did you hear or read all this?
    Granted, I don't read some well known newspapers, so won't see it.

Now let me get this straight. They're charging MORE for the same food?
    So if they charge $3 for a 2.50 item, then only the 50 cents is tax deductible,
    IF one itemizes of course. At with a combined federal/state marginal rate
    of , say 30%, I'm still out 35 cents. Or how do you see it?

ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Haven't Heard the Last

What an elaborate scheme to inflate prices! Typical of the old govt price supports for commodities. Govt subsidies always result in higher prices.

I can just see what will happen in Jainen's scenario comes to pass. Only 1 of 20 taxpayers exceed the 7.5% threshhold for deducting medical expense, but 20 of 20 will be banging on the tax preparer to act on this ridiculous scheme.

But you haven't heard the last of this. In addition to playing shell games with deductions for "healthy" foods, junk foods will be the next target for "sin" taxes.

We will see taxes placed on soft drinks, candy, chips, etc. just like liquor, cigarettes, and beer.

Comment

Just the beginning...

I think the managers should also be trained to give vision exams. Or with all this recent fast food e-coli, restaurant employees could charge for driving patrons to the hospital...that would be a real medical expense! Better yet, why not introduce the Mc1040 Meal. That would include tax prep done by a trained employee dressed like the famous clown himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletooth
          I can just see what will happen in Jainen's scenario comes to pass. Only 1 of 20 taxpayers exceed the 7.5% threshhold for deducting medical expense, but 20 of 20 will be banging on the tax preparer to act on this ridiculous scheme.
          I had this "fat" issue come up last year with one client that did not result in a deduction due to the threshhold limitation. As I recall reviewing the rules then, this has to be a written medical doctors determination and prescription for the diet.

Comment

Slow Food

That dadratted jainen is controversial even when he's layin' low and maintainin' a low-profile.

I just cain't bear it. Taco Bell is one of my fave-rits. I can see it now -- an extra five-ten minutes for everybody in the drive-in line while they convey the Doc Tac-o way to clueless customers saving maybe $15 a year.

For those of us holding out for "regular" stuff: I wonder if those statements about "we will not offer new menu items" and "...emphasis on cutting calories through smaller portions" means we'll be getting smaller tacos for the same price? They can keep the foil doggie bag -- I'm there for food.

Lordy; it can only be a matter of time 'til we see "THIS FOOD IS BAD FOR YOU" printed on our burger wrappers.

These are times that try mens' souls -- TOM PAINE

Comment

Eating is hazardous to your health

Everything you eat is bad for you. The only way to stay healthy is to starve. Maybe restaurants should quit serving anything but water and charge $15.00 for a fifth of water.

Comment

Taco Bell also has a plan where you lose wait fast with their e-coli plan. Its not deductible though.

Comment

In-line Time

I'm afraid that we ("regular" fooders) will gain wait while they (token buyers) will lose weight.

Comment

How much?

Originally posted by Joe Btfsplk
                    Everything you eat is bad for you. The only way to stay healthy is to starve. Maybe restaurants should quit serving anything but water and charge $15.00 for a fifth of water.
                    Good Lord! For another 6$ I can get a bottle of single malt Scotch whiskey, and so much
                    better for you. (think blood thinner)

Holiday ChEAr$,
                    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA
                    ChEAr$,
                    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                    X