Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For what it is worth>>>

Copy/ Paste from a spyware supplier.

Most computer users know about anti-virus,anti-spyware, anti-spam and firewall software to protect their online information. But how often do we overlook one of the most basic forms of cyber security - passwords

In our technology-centered world, passwords are used to secure everything from bank accounts to cell phones, not to mention computers. Developing strong passwords is a necessary way to protect private cyber information, but exactly how to do this is up for debate.

Should we create strong, complicated passwords that we can’t remember, but need to write down - whether it’s stored on paper or electronically - widening the security risk of them being accessed by another party? Or should we use passwords that are simple enough that we can commit them to memory, but increasing the risk that they can be more easily cracked?

There is no exact science for creating strong passwords. Conventional wisdom from security professionals can help to set a few basic guidelines.

The pros advise that you should never simply use words that are found in a dictionary. Instead, mix characters and numbers in a way that is memorable to you.

When selecting numbers, do not choose ones that may be personally identifiable to you; your birthday, Social Security number and phone number are off limits.

Always use different passwords for accounts that involve monetary transactions. The only thing worse than having one account cracked into, would be to have all of your accounts cracked into. It is also a good idea to change your passwords regularly.

It is not easy to follow these rules, and try to commit passwords to memory. The rampant use of little yellow Post-it notes, cluttering all of our desktops or jammed into our wallets is a telling sign of this.

Keeping passwords secure at the office is not any simpler, and may have larger implications.

According to a recent study by Nucleus Research and Knowledge Storm, one in three workers undermines company security by writing down computer passwords.

Technological shortcuts lie in more advanced methods like biometrics, smartcards, and even password management software, which are all available options, especially for companies looking to ease security risks.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Worth a Lot

Bob it's worth a lot - thanks for the post. Purists may complain that it's not tax-related, but we have a community here on this message board, and I think that message should be well-heeded by all of us.

Ron Jordan

Comment

I found this .....

The clues that spyware is on a computer include:

Barrage of pop-up ads

Hijacked browser — that is, a browser that takes you to sites other than those you type into the address box

A sudden or repeated change in your computer's Internet home page new and unexpected toolbars

New and unexpected icons on the system tray at the bottom of your computer screen

Keys that don't work (for example, the "Tab" key that might not work when you try to move to the next field in a Web form)

Random error messages

Sluggish or downright slow performance when opening programs or saving files
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Never open an attachment

I try not to ever open an attachmen to an email.. If something with an attachment comes in, I forward it to my gmail address where, usually, you can see the images without opening attachments. I never open emailed pictures except from my family and only open pdfs from clients.

Comment

Working...
        X