Using dual monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using dual monitors

I did a search on this, which was combined with the topic of going paperless in the office, but could not find the exact info I needed.

I hear some of you mention you use two monitors in your practices. I would love to do this. However, I need to know HOW to use two monitors on the desk. What I do need to purchase, if anything. How is this done, from start to finish. All my computers are fairly new and everything in them that might be needed to be able to utilize this function.

I know it's the holiday weekend, but if someone knowledgeable is around, I'd appreciate your time in telling me.

Thanks,
    Dennis
    Last edited by DTS; 11-24-2006, 06:18 PM. Reason: additional info

Sure..

1) check for two video outputs on the back. Many newer computers have one VGA and one DVI. If so, that will work.
    2) Two LCDs of similar size.
    3) Turn off computer, plug in LCDs and boot.
    4) Most times Windows will see both LCDs automaticly.
    5) right click on a empty spot on one screen, click on properties, then play with the settings till you see what you like. You'll see two screens on the settings tab, you can swap side to side, change resolutions and so on.

That's about it. If you don't have two video outputs, by a low-mid range video card with two outputs and start at 1 above.

Doug

Comment

Sounds easy

Doug,

Thank you for the help. Really sounds very easy and straightforward. I do have a follow-up question:

Say I have my tax program up on one monitor and need to keep a close eye on QB at the same time for this client. How do I get QB up and running on the other monitor?

Thanks, again.
      Dennis

Comment

Easy..

just reduce the QB window a little then drag to the other screen. BTW, it'll open there the next time.

Doug

Comment

Becoming clearer

Thanks Outwest for posting this info, DTS and I have been discussing the dual monitors, and I am in the process of probably ordering a new workstation.

Question for the monitors, what is your opinion of DVI (Digital) versus VGA(analog) both 1280 X 1024?

Of course the video card would have to be the appropriate one, can you purchase a video card that is all VGA or all DVI, or is it only one VGA and one DVI, so then you purchase 1 monitor of each.

Another question, do you know if you can use a KVM switch to utilize one of these monitors with another computer? (server)

I know too many questions, I am just never sure if what the sales person is telling me is correct, so always comforting to hear from other sources.

Thanks,

Comment

Quickbooks?

>>How do I get QB up and running on the other monitor?<<

QUICKBOOKS? You've got to be kidding. The second monitor is supposed to be for running EverQuest.

Comment

Everquest

That woman in the ad for Everquest will guide me through the QB reports. How can you work when that stuff is in your office? I would never think about putting Solitaire up on that second monitor!!!

Comment

Fwiw..

I've don't have much of an opinion DVI vs VGA. DVI is the newer and where the industry is going so I guess that's what I'd do. You can get cards with two of a type, if you have one of each type, adapters are available.

Don't have much experience with KVM switches. I'm thinking where you would have trouble would be on the 2 monitor system. Just a guess.

Doug

Comment

Warning on multiple monitors

In December of 2005 I installed two monitors. In December of 2006 I just installed four new Dell flat screens. WOW. Tax, Accounting, File Cabinet, Outlook all at one quick glance. I do love it.

Bjorn

Comment

How did you do that??

Curious, Bjorn, how did you do that??? Did you upgrade your computer system, is it a Dell???

Which Dell monitors did you buy?

I am looking at Dell for a new workstation ??

Sandy
                    Last edited by S T; 11-26-2006, 02:13 AM.

Comment

DTS &amp; S T

I am a computer Dummy but I purchased a new flat screen and a video card. Installed the video card which was simple but I had to get an adapter for the other VGA moniter. Went to Best Buy, told th Geek Squad what I need and they set me up. Just plug the adapter into the video card and the cable into the adapter and your ready to go. The video had software that guides you as to set your moniters and will label they 1 or 2 and if you want mirrored image or not. As I said, I'm a computer dummy and if I can do it anyone can. Did post a question on the board a while back as to how to get a file moved over. This board is really helpful with other problems than just tax question.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn
                        In December of 2005 I installed two monitors. In December of 2006 I just installed four new Dell flat screens. WOW. Tax, Accounting, File Cabinet, Outlook all at one quick glance. I do love it.

Bjorn

Your office must look like a NASA control room.

Here's a link which speaks to multiple monitors.

Comment

Monitors

Thanks to all for your help! This really sounds so easy.

Veritas, thank you for the link. The mystery for me was how to get a display on the second monitor. Now I know. I will check to see about the second video card, as I doubt there is one and get setup.

Next, I guess I'll need to purchase EverQuest!

Again, thank you all.

Dennis
                          Last edited by DTS; 11-26-2006, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Using a IT Guy.

I use an HP PC stand only. We are a small company (me and my wife) but we do have an IT guy on call, comes 3 times a year to check my machines out, the PC and a laptop. That being said. The small investment of having a computer guy is worth the investment. Cost me $75. an hour to have him come to my office. If I wanted to take my machine to his place it's $35. Cheap. In the 3 years I've have him I've never had a problem. Also have a committed from him that if I do have a problem during tax season he will drop everything and be here and get me running. What ever it takes, including a back up machine if I need it. I've spend $450. with him this year and it's worth every penny. Instead your getting advise from strangers off the Internet. Do you notice all the people with computer problem on this community. Suggestion: Find yourself a good IT guy in your area and ask him your questions.
                            My computer guy's website: http://alanlsilverman.virtualave.net/ He has a has a good article on how a computer should be set up. Check it out.

Comment

August and IT/Computers

Welcome to the Board, and Thank you for your post, however, I do not consider the posters on TB to be strangers, so to receive their input is of great value to me. The posters that some of us recognize will point out the good and the bad points and share ideas of how they are running their practices and their computer technology.

An IT is of great value as well, but sometimes here in So Calif it is a well known fact to find a good one is difficult. I have been lucky in the past and have had the pleasure of working with some, but some how they eventually they disappear.

So in between right now, gathering information.

Sandy
                              Last edited by S T; 11-28-2006, 01:49 AM. Reason: Changes

Comment

Working...
                              X