X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another good one is ....

Originally posted by Black Bart
    I'm a fan of Western movies.
    So am I, and Tombstone was one of the best, thanks in large part to Val Kilmer. His costumes and makeup were so good that I didn't realize until some time later that I had seen him in another film, "Top Gun," not too long before.

A favorite film of mine is "Lone Star." It's not a western, per se, but is an outstanding, multi-dimensional film. It came out in 1996, and Roger Ebert and (the late) Gene Siskel both raved about it, one rating it as the best film of the year and the other ranking it 2nd or 3rd. ("The English Patient" won "best picture" that year, a monumentally boring movie if ever there was one.)

"Lone Star" is a John Sayles film and stars Chris Cooper in the primary role and the lovely Elizabeth Peña in the main female role. The supporting cast is also terrific. The film is so good, so cleverly made, and contains so much great (and often subtle) dialog that it's well worth seeing twice ... even necessary to catch everything.

Don't miss it if you can!
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Clementine

Cast:

Henry Fonda - Wyatt Earp
      Victor Mature - Doc Holliday
      Ike Clanton - Walter Brennan
      Ward Bond - Morgan Earp
      Tim Holt - Virgil Earp

It was a great show and you'd like it. You can catch it sometimes on Turner Classic Movies. Mature wasn't anywhere near as good as Kilmer in Doc's role, but Fonda was outstanding as Wyatt Earp.

Doc was an interesting character, wasn't he? I didn't know rhetoric was his specialty, but in this version of the story, an old alcoholic actor is trying to quote Hamlet's soliloquy in a bar ("Shakespeare in Tombstone" as they said) and, unable to finish, asks Holliday to help him because "it's been so long," Holliday picks up in the middle with "Death, the undiscovered country, from whose bourn no traveler returns, puzzles the will, and makes us rather bear those ills we have than fly to others that we know not of," but then breaks into his "consumptive" cough and is carried out. There's also a scene of Earp dispersing a lynch mob which is outstanding.

Comment

Lone Star & Clementine

Sounds good. I'm going to see if they are available this weekend at the rental store.
        Last edited by veritas; 11-03-2006, 12:47 AM.

Comment

At the movies

Veritas / Yeah, I saw "Stars in My Crown" years ago, but it was very good as I recall. I'm a Joel McCrea fan too. He made many good westerns -- one was "Colorado Territory" about an 1870s robber which was later remade and the time frame moved up to the 1940s in a Humphrey Bogart movie entitled "High Sierra." See either one if you get a chance.

Roland / No, I haven't seen "Lone Star," but on your recommendation I'll look for it on TCM or at Movie Gallery's "oldie" section. I'm still looking for a good website where they sell them at "reasonable" prices. They want $12-$20 for everything which seems a bit much to me.

Comment

After Tombstone I think my next favorite western was Lonesome Dove. Lots of good acting but Robert Duvall made the miniseries.

Comment

Duvall

I feel the same -- he's just a really outstanding actor. He's good in just about anything he plays. I liked him in The Apostle and that one (can't think of the name) where he was a reformed alcoholic country singer.

Comment

when will you ever use algebra?

Originally posted by Absolut
                Does anyone know how to take what the sales tax is and figure out the gross sales? For example: Sales Tax is $20.78, what was the original dollar that the sales tax was figured at using 5% sales tax? Hopefully you understand what I mean. Someone had given me the formula on how to figure the sale and I can't find it. Thank you for your help.
                veritas may have flunked algebra the first time, but he eventually got it.

x=y(%) :

x=actual sales tax
                y=selling price
                (%)=sales tax %

Comment

Tender Mercies

... and that one (can't think of the name) where he was a reformed alcoholic country singer.
                  "Tender Mercies." Yup, Robert Duvall is truly the consummate actor, but he outdid himself in "Lonesome Dove." Incidentally, Chris Cooper ("Lone Star") was also in LD ... played the part of the young sheriff July Johnson.

Interesting thread. Seems to have wandered a wee bit from the original subject.
                  Roland Slugg
                  "I do what I can."

Comment

Sales tax calculation

If the total collected, including 5% tax, is 20.78 it means 20.78 is 105% of the sale.
                    $ 20.7divided by1.05 = $ 19.79.

The sale would be 19.79 (100% of the sale)
                    5% tax would be .99 (5% of the sale)
                    Total (105%) = 20.78

Comment

Hey Joe,

You need to go back and read Absolut's question again. To give you credit, the question usually is about trying to dope out the sales portion from a total of sales and sales tax combined, but here he has the sales tax ($20.78) figure only -- not including the sales. Confusing, ain't it? Just on reflex, I almost figured the same way you did before I noticed.

Besides, haven't you read the directions of our learned colleagues Josh and LTS? You can't just up and divide this thing -- it must be done using algebra. I, too, am 100% in favor of complexity in accounting. If we make things too simple, first thing you know our clients can do it themselves and won't even need us. Durn Turbo-Tax types anyway!

I wonder if we could get the use of Latin terminology reinstated into widespread general use in the professional trades?

P.S. Whatcha doin' bringing arithmetic into the discussion? We're talkin' about movies -- please try to follow along. You ever seen "Liar, Liar"?
                      Last edited by Black Bart; 11-03-2006, 09:26 AM. Reason: Humor, hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland Slugg
                        So am I, and Tombstone was one of the best, thanks in large part to Val Kilmer. His costumes and makeup were so good that I didn't realize until some time later that I had seen him in another film, "Top Gun," not too long before.

A favorite film of mine is "Lone Star." It's not a western, per se, but is an outstanding, multi-dimensional film. It came out in 1996, and Roger Ebert and (the late) Gene Siskel both raved about it, one rating it as the best film of the year and the other ranking it 2nd or 3rd. ("The English Patient" won "best picture" that year, a monumentally boring movie if ever there was one.)

"Lone Star" is a John Sayles film and stars Chris Cooper in the primary role and the lovely Elizabeth Peña in the main female role. The supporting cast is also terrific. The film is so good, so cleverly made, and contains so much great (and often subtle) dialog that it's well worth seeing twice ... even necessary to catch everything.

Don't miss it if you can!

So I rented Lone Star and watched it however I failed to read the rest of the title "state of mind". I have no idea who was in it but it was pretty funny. So this weekend we will try again.

Comment

Shoot!

I had chores to do and didn't get to rent any movies at all. I feel depraved -- scratch that, I mean deprived. But they did have a documentary on director John Ford's movies on TCM though, and I got to see clips from: The Searchers/ My Darling Clementine/ Rio Grande/ She Wore A Yellow Ribbon/ T.M.W.S. Liberty Vallance/ Fort Apache and some others (taped it and haven't seen it all yet). Had another favorite -- Red River -- but I think that was by Howard Hawks.

Comment

I had chores to do and didn't get to rent any movies at all. I feel depraved -- scratch that, I mean deprived. But they did have a documentary on director John Ford's movies on TCM though, and I got to see clips from: The Searchers/ My Darling Clementine/ Rio Grande/ She Wore A Yellow Ribbon/ T.M.W.S. Liberty Vallance/ Fort Apache and some others (taped it and haven't seen it all yet). Had another favorite -- Red River -- but I think that was by Howard Hawks.

Yeah I saw part of it. John Ford kinda reminds me of Oldjack.

Comment

Christian Movie

Christian movies are a no-no after Mel Gibson's tirade about Jews. Even worse is Christian politics in most states--as Katherine Harris discovered.
                              However, in Texas, you can still get away with it. Rick Perry was re-elected as Governor after stating that he believed that any non-christian would go to hell.
                              I'm not sure that voting against Perry will be my ticket to hell, but I couldn't resist voting for Kinky Freidman even though I disagreed with him on a lot of issues. I felt that anyone is better to vote for than a professional politician.

Comment

Now playing- She wore a yellow ribbon

It's John Ford night on TCM ! That's channel 132 on Dish Network

Comment

Working...
                                X