S T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S T

Whatcha doin'? It's late night here in the boonies (AR)--1:32 A.M. What time is it in California?

Calif

It is 11:45PM, I am whipped, been working on a Partnership return and the Individual. Those darned old Balance Sheets on the form 1065 and trying to correct the bookkeeping entries on Quickbooks.

I think I am done with, will review Tues AM, then off to get some other ones efiled, and mailed.

As posted earlier, still will have about 6 or 7 that there is no response. Posting on the Board and playing Solitaire help me to regroup and clear the cobwebs!

What are you doing up so late???

Sandy

Comment

Up

Oh, I don't know; just dozed off watching TV and then woke up late. Can't go back to sleep so nothing to do but cruise the board. Fortunately there are other insomniacs like me.

I agree with what you said to PA John about the small tax software guys being taken over by giants and then not fulfilling their promises to give same or better service. Usually all we get is larger prices and bum service. My software experience is similar to yours. I've been through more software than LIz has been trhough husbands. Once had 1040 Solutions, then two or three others I can't remember. The best one that I liked was Tasc Force out of Oklahoma City who was bought out by Lacerte. To give both companies credit they did offer nationwide seminars (I attended one) to give us a "soft landing" after kicking us off the plane. And, actually, I got to like Lacerte even better and really hated to give it up, but my price went to somewhere around $2,000 to $2,500 and, like you, I just felt that was too much. I switched to ATX and, although I've had a few bad experiences with it, I generally like the software. I don't like it as much as Lacerte and it's unforgiving of errors, but still it's just $500. Can't beat that, I don't think.

Your turn.

Comment

Insominacs

Oh I am I glad to see that someone else can't sleep. It is still relatively early here in Calif, and I am just getting ready to go to the couch and find something on the "Tube" so I can try to go to sleep.

Yes Lacerte! It was a great product. Unfortunately my cost got close to $4,000 which I just couldn't handle. Demo'd ATX, but couldn't make it work for my practice. I would have loved to due to the Cost factor. $500 would be great!!!

Finally switched to TaxWorks and so far so good. Less expensive than Lacerte and there was a 2 year price hold, which was good. Minor complaints, but so far, tech support and sales support has been good.

I have just enough out of state returns, partnership returns and 1041 returns that the pay per return doesn't work, also a couple of those 1120-H, and 990 EZ forms. I am one of those tax practices that get caught in the middle between pricing and technology. I need the software to do things automatic instead of me trying to find out where to put the darned item on the return.

So I am just a "small gal " and will continue to support the "small .guy/gal " efforts. I left Corp America a long time ago and keep trying not to revisit!

How are your extensions coming. Are you almost done??? This seems to be the longest, stressful tax season I can remember.

Try to get some rest for Tuesday!

Sandy

Comment

Up II

Don't blame you for switching. $4K is enough to kill a horse.

I only need 1040 programs and a few out-of-states (MS/OK/AL/GA), so ATX works okay for me since they throw in all the states for free. Only thing, it doesn't automatically direct out-of-state data traffic to wherever it needs to go. I have to do that by hand which means taking time to read each state's directions and filling in the right blanks and forms. Fortunately I've only got three or four states that I do much work with and I don't have to fish around too much looking for stuff.

Funny thing about tech support--it just depends on who you ask as to whether it's good or bad. I talked to ATX reps who couldn't punch tickets in a movie line for a living. They had heard of forms C-E-F and knew the filing date was 4-15; other than that you could forget it. On the other hand, somebody said a while back that their experience re ATX support was "wonderful" and they "had no problems whatsoever" with it. Who can say what's best for all? It's strictly subjective.

You mentioned the time-consuming balance sheets. Here's something I've seen (in fact, I made a copy for my files). This was done a few years ago by a CPA not too far from here. He just wrote in by hand on the tax return, "NO GENERAL LEDGER MAINTAINED." He sent it in just like that and it was processed by IRS and nothing ever heard from it. It's astounding what you can get by with.

I like on-line Solitaire too.

Black Bart

Comment

Interesting

It would be nice to bypass those dreaded balance sheets!! Wonder what Bees and Armando would say about this approach?

Yes tech support is subjective. I think it is all what you make of it! A lot of people could possibly have an attitude when they call in. Goes back to the vinegar and honey approach! Altho sometimes that doesn't even work, it is just inept, tech just can't grasp anything!

Some software will work for some tax pros and others wont, as we have all mentionned on the Boards, you need to demo all and see what will work best for your individual situation. I don't think one program is necessarily any better than another, just what you might need for your practice and how much time and effort you are ready to put forth for the final product. Some software will eliminate some of that time and effort! Some software also offers more diagnostics than others to assist in finding errors! I guess it just boils down to, what your budget is and how comfortable you are in using that "Software Program".

Same would be true of the reference books. Knowing the people behind the TB, I am comfortable in relying on their information. They have been pretty tried and true in the past!

I haven't tried on line Solitaire. I just use the one that comes with MS.

Been looking at Arkansas for investment property, what are good areas?

Sandy
            Last edited by S T; 10-11-2005, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Misc.

Balance sheets--B & A would not approve.

Support--yes, your approach has a bearing on it, but we always bend over backwards ignoring obvious incompetence and/or dopey comments. Nothing (except luck) seems to prevail against the inept. You just try again later and hope you get a smarter person.

Software--Funny isn't it, how much we hate to switch--even to or for a better program. There's that built-in resistance to learning something new, but then, of course, after you do you feel better about it and more confident of yourself for having been challenged and forced to adapt and having done it successfully. I've got a 1099/W-2 program that I absolutely hate, but that I have postponed switching to better for about five years. I'm finally doing it. Just lazy I guess.

Solitaire-- I said on-line but I really meant the one with MS.

AR investment property -- Mountain Home, AR is a good and growing large town. I know of someone who paid $82,000 for a lake house there about ten years ago and it's been sold a couple of times and now the price is up to over $300,000 (although they remodeled out-and-out, spending about $100,000 or so I'd say). MH is in Northwest Arkansas which is a good general area. I'd stay close to big towns for quick property appreciation though, because sometimes the lots way out in the sticks don't go up for years. Lakeside lots are best, of course, but hard to find now.

Comment

You mentioned the time-consuming balance sheets. Here's something I've seen (in fact, I made a copy for my files). This was done a few years ago by a CPA not too far from here. He just wrote in by hand on the tax return, "NO GENERAL LEDGER MAINTAINED." He sent it in just like that and it was processed by IRS and nothing ever heard from it. It's astounding what you can get by with.
                It would be interesting to see what happened if they got sued; Books are part of the corporate veil.

Comment

Well, shoot, unregistered, I didn't say I was recommending it, just that I had seen it done once.

Actually, I've never done it, but that's just because I'd hate to try to explain it to a client if it got bounced back. I don't feel any qualms about beating the IRS out of anything because they continually beat us out of things. For instance, is there anything really fair or sensible about making us continue to depreciate a car that we no longer have? No, of course not. The only reason that was done is to slow down the rate of depreciation and make a few dollars for them. What about the 7 ½ percent medical deduction-what's that for? Did we get a magical cut in medical expenses? No, it's just that they make more money using that than they did with the previous five percent and the 2 ½ percent prior to that. Have you ever paid your health insurer 60 or 65 percent of the premium or did you pay the whole thing? Does Office Max knock 2 ½ percent off of office supplies?

Yeah, I know, many people would say that' doesn't justify doing "the right thing" and that's okay with me. They can do it their way and I'll do it mine.

As to whether or not it's "interesting" if you get sued or audited, I'll bet $100 that everyone on this board (including you and ne) has got at least one tax body buried, maybe long ago, that they fervently hope IRS or nobody else never exhumes. If anybody unearths that certain skeleton in the closet, we'd need an iron curtain instead of a corporate veil.

Comment

Working...
                  X