Estate value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Estate value

Does anyone know if there is tax or filing requirement on the gross value of an estate in CA? I have been all over web, called the FTB and I can get no answers or find anything!

Value of the client's estate on death was approximately $448,000+, which has been indicated on pg. 2 of the 541. Client is about to close the estate and I'm trying to avoid any surprises later.

Thanks,
    Dennis

Repealed

Dear DTS

The California estate and gift taxes were both repealed in 1982. The only remaining remnant of the old "inheritance" tax, as it was called, is the pick-up tax allowed as a credit on the federal estate tax return. So if there is no federal estate tax, there is no California inheritance tax.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Tax

Thanks Roland,

I have never heard of any CA estate tax, but thought I should check and panicked a bit when I couldn't find info.

Dennis

Comment

property tax

>>I'm trying to avoid any surprises<<

If the estate includes a house that is not being distributed directly to a son or daughter, it will have a big reassessment for property tax purposes.

Comment

No home

Jainen,

There is no home or securities to sell. Only thing left is cash to distribute to benes.

Dennis

Comment

Working...
          X