Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dead taxpayer pays tax or beneficiaries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead taxpayer pays tax or beneficiaries?

Hello all - please forgive my basic question here, and just help me out! I have not done a 1041 before and am confused about what goes where. Here are the specifics: Taxpayer with mostly liquid assets dies. Trustee client has $110k annuity, taxpayer IRA for $35k, and $5K from an annuity with employee contributions making up most of it, distributed to a SmithBarney estate account that already had over $200k from the revocable trust in it. Trustee then wrote $20k checks to 16 beneficiaries, keeping the remainder of the funds for expenses and taxes of the estate... to be distributed when estate is closed.

How much, and which of these is "income in respect to the decedent", and how much can I take as "income distribution deduction". Then how much will each beneficiary be separately taxed on on their 1040?

I have already purchased and lightly reviewed PES's Estate and Trust Income Taxation self study course. Can anyone recommend a better course out there?
    THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Fiducary return and IRD

Probably all you need to look at is The Tax Book & Publication 17. The income would be either Income in Respect of a decedant or income of the Estate. Decedent goes on Form 1040, estate goes on Form 1041.

Look at the Tax Book for an example of a properly filled-out form. If you don't have the business version, then you will need to get it. CCH used to have booklets covering various forms such as 1041.

Comment

Working...
    X