Unsigned tax payment check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unsigned tax payment check

A taxpayer sent in a tax payment but forgot to sign the check. He found that the check has been returned two times on his monthly statement. But he has still not received any notice from the IRS about it. Is it advisable for him to send in another check now? Or is there any standard procedure he has to follow to correct the mistake? Shall he send in another check with a explanation about what happened? What will the IRS do with the first unsigned check?

Sorry a lot of questions. But I guess basically they are just the same question: What is he supposed to do now?

Thank you or your help.

Unsigned Tax Payment Check

The sooner that money is paid, the better. Have your client make out another check and send in to IRS immediately.
    What this will do, is stop interest from accruing. The penalty issue can be abated if reasonable cause for the bad checks exist.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Unsigned Check returned by bank?

[QUOTE=Unregistered]A taxpayer sent in a tax payment but forgot to sign the check. He found that the check has been returned two times on his monthly statement. But he has still not received any notice from the IRS about it. QUOTE]

He didn't get any notice from the bank? Every bank I have ever done business with sends a notice when they are returning a check. (Not my checks, clients!)
      Jiggers, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers
        He didn't get any notice from the bank? Every bank I have ever done business with sends a notice when they are returning a check. (Not my checks, clients!)
        With the bank mergers, proliferation of mortgage companies, and changing of the law on returning original checks, banks are no longer concerned about you as a customer. They have decided to purely become a processing center that doesn't need to be concerned about you as a customer because you have nowhere else to do your banking. Patron your local owned bank if you can find one.

Comment

Working...
        X