Extended due date until

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extended due date until

Dec. 15. Wouldn't this be great? Just thinkof all the fun we could have by not
    having to work so much in the summer. Take off and go fishing, swimming, golfing,
    etc.
    Of course the clients would still have everything to you by April 15. You could
    start preparing extensions as soon as that client got the info to you.

Is it me, or did all of your normal August 15th deadliners mover their procrastination to October 15th, once you told them August 15th was no longer a deadline?

Comment

yep

mine sure did Bees Knees. As soon as I told them 10/'15 they got a big smile on their face and well, then, ....
      BTW, I signed up for the NATP mtg in Bloomington Oct 27,28 so guess I won't be in Roseville mtg this yr.
      Larry M (ie: OlderLarry)

Comment

I'm going to be at the Mermaid November 16th with Armando for the MN EA meeting. Maybe we will see each other there?

Comment

Gosh! Sounds like you two miss each other?

Comment

We do have till Dec 15

Actually you can file Dec 15th. Just make sure there is no more money due with the return, and there will be no penalty. If you do an Oct 15th sort of extension estimate, and find there may be money due; You can send a payment (for what would have been an additional extension payement) on a 1040V to prevent the 5% late filing penalty. So now that we have extended until December, theres no more months left to extend to. Be careful here, or you may end up doing 2 returns during tax season, last years and this years. But don't forget these points 1) Don't do this with your own tax return, becasue filing after Oct 15 is a violation of circular 230 and subjects us to loosing our permission to even do tax returns. 2) 1065's and 990's have late filing penalties (at a per day rate), even though no money is due.

Comment

Extended to Dec 15, NO!!!

All the procrastinators that I did this year by yesterday are the same each year. They always come in with their tax information late. Most do not owe any taxes as covered by ES or WH, so they don't care. What was bad this year was those that came in with their tax stuff starting last Monday and most of these returns were large, taking anywhere from 3 to 8 hours to prepare! It isn't like I am sitting here with nothing to do. Though most think that I don't do a darn thing after April 15th. I cut my hours back after April 30th, and have fiscal year corporations to file during the year, monthly bookkeeping clients, payroll and sales tax reports, state franchise tax returns. Next year all those on extension will get a letter August 1st advising them that my cutoff date for their information is September 15th. If it isn't here by then, I am not working 8 days a week, 14 hour days, during that last week before October 15th to get them out. Tough love folks! Also, next year my fee for extensions will increase: return prepared by 6/30 = $40, 7/1 - 8/31 = $50, 9/1 - 10/15 = $60. This is in addition to my regular tax return fee!
              Jiggers, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers
                Next year all those on extension will get a letter August 1st advising them that my cutoff date for their information is September 15th.
                I tried that one year. One of my October 15th procrastinators came in with the letter I sent him and asked me if it applied to him.

Comment

Procrastinators

Originally posted by Bees Knees
                  I tried that one year. One of my October 15th procrastinators came in with the letter I sent him and asked me if it applied to him.
                  Client charged $25 extra for that question!

One came in with their information 4:00 Friday, 10/13! Expected me to work all weekend. She called Monday at noon checking on return. $50 extra for that return!
                  Jiggers, EA

Comment

My office closes at 2:30 pm beginning on 4/16,

Including 10/16. Anybody who couldn't get here by 2:00 yesterday either found someone else or paid a failure to file penalty. I can't be a babysitter for every one of my clients.

Called one 2 weeks ago to remind her of the upcoming extension deadline, she called back last Monday and asked me "When is the deadline?". I told her she had a week. She told me she couldn't even gather her info in a week (wannabe house flipper, owns about 25 rentals). Asked could she file an additional extension. I almost told her, "Sure, we'll just add 2005 and 2006 together and wait until 4/15/07", but she would have believed me, and then promptly sued me.

Go figure!

Comment

Just tell them there is a 3 year extension if you are due a refund. Simply over pay your withholding and/or estimates throughout the year so that IRS always owes you money, and then you can take all the time in the world to file. IRS probably never cares if you file then.

Comment

Working...
                      X