OIH Expense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OIH Expense

Does lawn maintenance & tree trimming qualify for office in home expense?

Unrelated expenses

TTB 5-16: Unrelated expenses include expenses for the part of the home not used for business, such as lawn care or painting a room not used for business. Unrelated expenses are not deductible.

Comment

I would say no . Look at Pub 587

Comment

Maybe

I know reading Pub. 537 page 8 under Unrelated expenses-they give Example: Lawn care or painting a room not used for business is Not deductible.
        On page 9 under Utilities and Services they say that trash removal and cleaning services, are primarily personal expenses. However, if you sue part of your home for business, you can deduct the business part of these expenses.

I would say in my business, taking care of my lawn is part of my cleaning services, etc.
        My clients have to walk on the sidewalk thru my lawn in order to get to my front door, if I didn’t take care of my lawn; I would probable loss some business.

Comment

Yard Maintenance

How would the determine the portion of the yard used for business?

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
            I know reading Pub. 537 page 8 under Unrelated expenses-they give Example: Lawn care or painting a room not used for business is Not deductible.
            On page 9 under Utilities and Services they say that trash removal and cleaning services, are primarily personal expenses. However, if you sue part of your home for business, you can deduct the business part of these expenses.

I would say in my business, taking care of my lawn is part of my cleaning services, etc.
            My clients have to walk on the sidewalk thru my lawn in order to get to my front door, if I didn’t take care of my lawn; I would probable loss some business.
            Unfortunately the courts say that taking care of your lawn isn't deductible as business use of the home.

If I didn't get my hair cut or wear clothes I'd probably lose some business too, but unfortunately hair cuts and clothing are not deductible either.

Comment

You guys are right, but I’m still going to add the $5.00 of gas that it takes to mow my lawn during the summer and add it to my indirect home expense. This $5.00 times my 13% business use of my home will give me $.65. So there!

Second thought, maybe I wouldn't.

P.S. Sometime clients come over during the summer, usually it is to hot in the office (no air conditioner) so we set outside in the back yard and discuss taxes.

Comment

I would deduct the cost of bird seed.

Having a bird feeder outside the living room window keeps my cats occupied. While they are occupied staring at the birds, I get more work done, as they are not walking across my papers trying to get my attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                  P.S. Sometime clients come over during the summer, usually it is to hot in the office (no air conditioner) so we set outside in the back yard and discuss taxes.
                  Well there you go! Clients in the yard justifies writing of the land dirt cost and a house has to have dirt or its worthless, therefore casualty loss. Oh please Bees... I'm only joking!

Comment

Working...
                  X