Enrolled Agent licence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Most states? Neither Oregon or California require any CPE in taxation. Could you give a few examples?
    Correction: Most states require CPE. Most popular CPE seminars offered is in the field of taxation. I have no idea why I said what I did as to tax seminar requirements... my bad.

Comment

Tax CPE

In Ohio if you assume responsibility for any tax engagements or sign any tax returns as a CPA you must have a minimum of 24 hours of CPE in taxation over a three year period. I am sure other states have their own requirements. Also since my practice is a tax practice then common sense dictates that well over ninety percent of my overall CPE is in taxation in an attempt (sometimes futile) to stay up to date. As to "tax experts" I never met one in this lifetime.

Comment

In Missouri we have a license requirement of 120 hours CPE required over a 3 year period with 20 hours minimum required per year. As I understand it this is in accordance with the "National Standard for CPE" as established by the AICPA. Of the 20 hours minimum per year, 2 hours must be on the subject of ethics.

On our license renewal each year we must report our hours as to tax and other subjects. I assume this is preliminary to establishing requirements for each type subject in the future.

Comment

In Oregon if you are not a CPA or attorney you must be licensed (or is it licenced?) to prepare tax returns or give tax advice for any type of renumeration. You must also have a minimum of 30 hours per year in tax continuing education.

I was reading from a newsletter this morning from our tax board. A non-licensed preparer in Grants Pass, OR is going to be assessed a fine of $825,000 for preparing returns as a non-licensed individual.

Comment

What about out of state preparers

Originally posted by veritas
            In Oregon if you are not a CPA or attorney you must be licensed (or is it licenced?) to prepare tax returns or give tax advice for any type of renumeration. You must also have a minimum of 30 hours per year in tax continuing education.

I was reading from a newsletter this morning from our tax board. A non-licensed preparer in Grants Pass, OR is going to be assessed a fine of $825,000 for preparing returns as a non-licensed individual.
            I'm an EA in Nebraska, I have a client in Oregon. Does this mean I need an Oregon license or does my client have to move out of Oregon?
            In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
            Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

TTB page OR-1

Under the General Information section:
              Oregon's licensing law applies only to those within the Oregon border except when a person preparing returns out of state is actively soliciting Oregon clients. A person preparing the occasional Oregon return for clients who walk into their out-of-state office does not need an Oregon license.

Comment

A while back, early on in this thread, I said the question was bogus.

The question was bogus because it was a plant....probably by someone looking to get a bunch of EAs and CPAs to argue with each other...as this thread has turned into.

The fact is that there are CPAs who know a whole bunch about taxes. There are EAs who know a whole bunch about accounting. There are also CPAs that knew very little about accounting, and EAs that are not that good at tax work.

The EAs and CPAs that frequent this message board are obviously those who are interested and knowledgeable about taxes. Can we just leave it at that and not try to one up each other in the knowledge department?

Comment

I agree with Bees. This is ridiculous and I am partly as guilty as some of the others. Again, if the poster had been a registered member of the forum we would know who not to respond to in the future. Allowing unregistered guests to post is just asking for bogus comments that cause problems. I try not to respond to unregistered guest's posts but find that I inadvertently do as I have done again today.

Comment

OldJack in one post you said "You have the degree.. why not take a chance on passing the CPA exam".

In Georgia you have to work under a public accountant for (I believe) 5 years to get CPA and 2 years to get CMA. Is this a requirement in Missouri or can you take the test to receive the designation? Just wondering as I was let down when researching on becoming CPA and found this requirement for Georgia. I believe every state is different.

Comment

geekgirldany--Oldjack is a CPA

Oldjack....Well... could the CPA's you are working for simply find it cheaper to hire you. I'm a CPA and although I don't know everything about taxes I have been doing them for quite awhile. True, I make more money doing audits than taxes, but I refer to myself as an accountant because I know a lot about that which is why I also do audits. You have the degree.. why not take a chance on passing the CPA exam, then you can be a smart CPA?

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany
                        I believe every state is different.
                        In Missouri you must pass the CPA exam, pass a ethics exam, and have 1 year of experience verified by a certified public accountant in order to get a license to practice as a CPA.

Passing the test makes you a CPA but you can't use the term or in other words practice/sign without the license.
                        Last edited by OldJack; 10-14-2006, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OldJack
                          Well... could the CPA's you are working for simply find it cheaper to hire you. I'm a CPA and although I don't know everything about taxes I have been doing them for quite awhile. True, I make more money doing audits than taxes, but I refer to myself as an accountant because I know a lot about that which is why I also do audits. You have the degree.. why not take a chance on passing the CPA exam, then you can be a smart CPA?

PS: did you think only smart EA's were members on this forum?
                          Old Jack, I prepare their returns because their knowledge of taxes is weak. They are excellent auditors, and make very good money. I agree 100% that there are CPA's and EA's that are whiz kids when it comes to taxes. Although I try very hard to be the best, it seems I get stumped on a daily basis with a new tax situation.

I live in a small community. The few CPA's here do not perform audits. Although I have sat for the CPA exam several years ago, and passed 3 parts, I could never get the required audit experience. But that's alright. I have done quite well without being a CPA.
                          Dave, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                            geekgirldany--Oldjack is a CPA
                            Yes I know that is what I was asking him I was just wondering the differences between states in license requirements for CPAs.

Thanks OldJack for answering my question.

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany
                              Yes I know that is what I was asking him I was just wondering the differences between states in license requirements for CPAs.

Thanks OldJack for answering my question.
                              You are welcome geekgirldany. As I understand it most states are slowly adopting a uniform standard that will make the requirements the same in all states. Hope you don't think less of me since I told I was a CPA. I'm still the same lovable old fart...me.

Comment

Of course I think no less of ya... I'm very impressed. A person has to go through alot to become a CPA and I give them much respect.

Comment

Working...
                                X