Farmers & Ranchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farmers & Ranchers

Small time farmers and ranchers buy cows & bulls for breeding purposes. These are not the large big-time farmers and ranchers with 1000's of head. Rather, these have probably 50 - 150 head of breeding stock.

I set these up to depreciate, in the year that they are purchased. The depreciation schedule is rather long because of this.

Over a period of time, usually years, the taxpayer sells someof these breeding cows and bulls. However, he has no idea when these were purchased as they weren't tagged or no records were kept on each cow or bull.

How do you determine which ones to remove from the depreciation schedule? The original cost of each varies. And, based on the selling price, there could be some capital gain income after the recapture of the depreciation taken.

When the taxpayer doesn't or can't identify when the specific purchase date, I have been using the FIFO method to remove the breeding stock from the depreciation schedule.

Is this OK? Anyone have any problems with the IRS during an audit on this?
    Jiggers, EA

Breeding Stock

One thing to consider concerning depreciation is can't start depreciation on breeding stock untill they are mature enough to breed. Nor sure if this is of any help.

Comment

Breeding Stock

This has no bearing on the question. These are definitely cows and bulls when purchased. Just wondering if you use the FIFO method to remove from the depreciation schedule, and will that stand up to the audit? Or does lack of records as to what cow/bull is being sold jeopardize your farm loss as not being in the business for profit?
      Jiggers, EA

Comment

Sale of Cattle

In this situation, I ask the client the approximate date the cattle were purchased
        and go from there. If client cannot remember the approximate date, I do what
        you mentioned. Just get the one that is on the books the longest.
        Another dilemma is when some die and client forgets to tell me.

Comment

Working...
        X