Rebuild rental property - involutary conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuild rental property - involutary conversion

Client lost a rental condo in Hurricane Charley in 2004. In 2005, she rebuilt the condo. First rental after being rebuilt was Jan 2006.

How do I handle her expenses for going down to supervise reconstruction and purchase new furnishings? She has some travel, lodging, car rental & food expenses. Do I need to capitalize these or can I deduct currently?

In addition she has some rental expenses (condo assn fees, real estate taxes, and minor utilities) during the rebuilding period. How are these treated?

I thought I recalled a discussion on this before, however I was unable to locate it by searching. Any guidance is appreciated!

IRS is going to want you to capitalize everything. However, I would simply deduct the travel expenses that were not reimbursed through insurance as current expenses on the Schedule E, as this is an on-going rental activity. Same with the other expenses as the rental was only taken out of service temporarily due to the casualty.

I argued with an auditor once over this issue. In my case, the rental was only out of service for just under one year. When we showed that a for rent sign went up the minute the repairs were done, the auditor gave in.

Comment

Thank you so much for responding, Bees! My thoughts agree with yours. My case is very similar. Thanks Again!

Comment

Working...
      X