IRS w4 Calculator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS w4 Calculator

Does someone know of a online / software / etc that I can put in for example

Married Joint
    4000 kids
    Income per pay and/or annual

And it show me the expected withholdings?

I have payroll software, but its a pain to do that...

Thanks!!

Chris

Check your W-4 tax withholding with the IRS Tax Withholding Estimator. See how your withholding affects your refund, paycheck or tax due.

Comment

4,000 kids - I don't think IRS has calculations for that many.
      Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

I don't recall that the IRS withholding calculator actually reports the expected withholding amounts, it only suggests how to fill out W-4.

"I have payroll software, but its a pain to do that..."

But the good news is, the employer also has payroll software, and unlike you, they are required to use it. So just piggy back on that!

The best approach, I've found, is to wait until May-July time frame, and examine two most recent sequential paystubs to see what the actual gross wage, taxable wage, and withholding has been to date. Because of bonuses, raises, time off, retirement plan contributions, fringe benefits (taxable and non taxable), etc, you really need a good chunk of the year already accounted for to successfully forecast the remainder of the year - the first 3 months is just too early and too subject to future changes. I use a simple spreadsheet to show the number of pay periods remaining, and because I have two paystubs, I can accurately predict the amounts expected per pay period for both federal and state on the W-2.

Once you see how far off track the taxpayer is, you can make adjustments for the rest of the year, the impact on net pay shouldn't be too severe when spread over the remaining 6-8 months. This assumes your taxpayer actually understands "pay now or pay later" when it comes to tax liability vs. refund/balance due on the return.

Of course, even wage earners can just make quarterly estimated payments.

sample paystub tax forecast <- click this link to see example of my spreadsheet
        "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
        X