1099-Q question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099-Q question

Client received 2 1099-Q forms for the same college student from of 2 different 529 Bright Start accounts. One issued under the father's SSN and one under the son's SSN. The father is custodian on both accounts. FYI, the second account was originally created by his sister-in-law many years ago. After she was divorced the funds were transferred to account under his SSN. When calculating the AQEE and any earnings that are taxable and subject to 10% penalty do you use the full AQEE for each calculation or split between the two? Same question for the amount of AOC. Can you split the amount of AOC? or do you have to take the full amount of expense used for each calculation? I have never run into this situation before. Would appreciate feedback from others on the board.

Got the following response on another board, but would like someone to confirm:

My take is that there is only one calculation per student/beneficiary. After subtracting scholarships and expenses used for AOC or LLC from the qualifying expenses, divide the remaining expenses by the total distributions (from both 1099-Q forms) to get the percentage of earnings that is non-taxable. Apply that percentage to the earnings on each 1099-Q separately to get the non-taxable amount for that 1099-Q. The remaining earnings on each are taxable to the person whose SSN is on that 1099-Q.

If the distribution went directly to the school or to the beneficiary, the beneficiary's SSN should be on the 1099-Q, even if owned by the father.

And note that room and board is a qualifying expense for QTP (529 plans). Even if the student lives at home, the school must publish a Cost of Attendance (COA) on their website with an allowance for that situation. The FAFSA Simplification Act which went into effect for the 2023-2024 school year requires that the allowance be non-zero for a live at home student. Also, "room and board" was renamed to "living expenses (including food and housing costs)" so the COA may list it that way - I've seen some listed as "Living expenses" and some listed as "Food and housing".

If you could provide a simple numerical example (specific box amounts from each 1099-Q) it might be easier to answer. I don't quite follow the question, to be honest.
    "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Rapid Robert,

Here are the 1099-Q amounts

1099-Q under son's SSN Box1 Gross Distributions $12,623.58 Box 2 Earnings $7023.58 Box 3 Basis $5600.00
      1099-Q under father's SSN Box 1 Gross Distribution $ 9,892.28 Box 2 Earnings $3192.28 Box 3 Basis $6700.00

Comment

OK, I played around with this a little, but still not quite enough info to completely reproduce the reporting. Don't have 1098-T, not sure if you are putting one of the 1099-Qs on the dependents own tax return, you didn't mention any credits, etc.

However, at this point I would agree with the original reply you quoted. You do not double count any of the education.expenses. So if any are being used for education credits, don't use any of that (max $4K for AOC). After subtracting amount if any used for credit, then you can only use the remaining AQEE as an allocation to each QTP distribution, not the full amount for each. If you read through IRC section 529, I think you'll see that it does not allow double-counting.

Hopefully your software produces worksheets as PDF attachments to the return to show the basis calculation. My software does this automatically, I made the mistake one year of suppressing the auto-generated attachment, and sure enough client got an IRS letter about it, questioning the exclusion of taxable earnings.
        "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Rapid Robert

The 1099-T Box1 $12,055.91, Box 5 $8,190.00. The QEE $21,356; expenses allocated to AOC $4000. I got the detailed bursar's statement for 2023 for all expenses charged and payments and credits applied. The scholarship amount agreed with Box 5. Box 1 did not, but I understand that the amounts on the 1099-T are not reliable, hence the necessity for the detailed bursar activity statement. I gave you the 1099-Q amounts in my earlier response. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X