Maine - part-year resident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maine - part-year resident

I am doing a part-year resident return for State of Maine for 2023. While the return is correctly picking up the data for tax calculation, is there a place on the return to enter period of time
    the taxpayer was a resident? In NY, you need to enter the period of time (move-in/move-out) person was a resident of the state. The move-to state is Florida - no income tax.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

On the Maine form, the part-year resident dates are right above the names:

You'll have to ask your software how to enter the dates.

Comment

Thank you Lion. I found it and entered the required data. I had not gotten an error message from the software program regarding this, even though it didn't change any calculations.

Comment

Uncle Sam, I live in Maine and can probably help if you still need it. I do several Maine PY tax returns each year as I have clients who move. My software (Drake) has the NR form built in as do a lot of the tax-prep programs out there.

Comment

I thank you - however I've already entered the data and sent the tax return to the client - what I was surprised at - and I use Drake also - is that there was no error message informing me that the form had to be completed.

Comment

Yeah, what I found helpful in Drake for clients who move states during the tax year is, on the home screen where you enter name and address, put the resident state as "PY." The software can get tricky with the PY/NR stuff sometimes, but it usually does a good job calculating it out once you have the dates of residency figured out.

Comment

Your software might default to the 2023 calendar year; did you enter the dates for the states if a part year?

Comment

What happened was, client sold Maine home during the summer, but had to continue living in Maine (in his daughter's house in Maine) until his contract was up with his employer because he needed the health insurance coverage. Wife who had no income other than Social Security was physically living in the Florida home after the Maine house was sold. Husband physically lived in Maine until around Thanksgiving.
                EvenKeelTax gave me the answer that I hadn't thought of when preparing the return - code the software PY Maine resident. But the tax calculations were made correctly - his W-2 income came all while living in Maine.

Comment

Working...
                X