Special Assessments on Farm Acreage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special Assessments on Farm Acreage

The wife of my customer (MFJ) inherited 1/5 of the family farm in Minnesota couple of years ago.
    Four of the 5 siblings rent their share of the land back to a brother who continues to farm, but none of 4 are involved in the farm.
    On my customers "E", I am reporting the rent received and 1/5 of the property taxes in 2023.
    In addition to the property taxes, a special assessment of $7,051 was issued in 2023. ($7,051 / 5 = $1,410 per person)
    Can the special assessment paid (for land drainage) be deducted currently on the "E" or must it be added to basis?
    Thanks for comments.

What's the assessment for?
    Should this be on a 4835 instead of E?
    "Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society." ~ Mark Skousen

Comment

Schedule E since they are not involved in farming. Agree what is the "assessment" ? Was it to inspect for drainage solutions ? Or was is actual drainage tile/hose installed ?

Comment

Thanks for responding.
        The customer indicated on my tax data form that the assessment was for "tiling work for improved drainage" on the acreage.

Comment

Tiling can be depreciated or 179 expensed. Here is a good article that OSU Ag. dept. put out concerning drainage systems. https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/OAM-1

Comment

Working...
          X