Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I e-file an amended paper 2020 return ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I e-file an amended paper 2020 return ?

New customer needs to amend his 2020 return. A paper return had been prepared & mailed.
    Can this amended return be e-filed ?
    Thanks.

Since it's not before 2020, yes if your software supports it.

"You can file up to 3 amended returns for the same year.

File on paper if you're amending a return you originally filed on paper and Forms 1040 and Form 1040-SR, U.S. Return for Seniors before 2020, and Form 1040-NR, Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return before 2021."

https://www.irs.gov/filing/file-an-a...ts%20on%20them.

Comment

No. E-file only accepts 3 years. At this time that's 2023, 2022 and 2021. 2020 is closed for e-file but still open for paper returns.

Rick

Comment

E-file only accepts 3 years. At this time that's 2023, 2022 and 2021

That is definitely true for original returns. But is it also true for amended? I don't think I've ever seen that stated anywhere. It makes sense that the efile system would only support 3 years for any kind of return, but on the other hand a 1040-X is a type of "forever form" that can be used across multiple years, so why not accept the 1040-X if it is current as of any of the last 3 tax years (which could still be an amendment of an even earlier year, if you know what I mean).

The "3 per year" limit is for a taxpayer trying to amend their own return more than 3 times for the same year.
        "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

RapidRobert, here is a link from IRS saying amended can only be e-filed for current, and two prior years. https://www.irs.gov/filing/amended-r...sked-questions

Comment

Yep. Looks like the IRS link I noted is outdated....

Comment

Originally posted by RWG1950 View Post
              New customer needs to amend his 2020 return. A paper return had been prepared & mailed.
              Can this amended return be e-filed ?
              Thanks.
              When amended returns first were eligible for e-filing, only returns that had been originally e-filed could have amendments e-filed.

Comment

Working...
              X