Software after retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software after retirement

I am retiring. I did a small number of 2022 returns and will do none for 2023. For 2023 I will file for myself, and three or four family members. There will be a Schedule C and E for a rental property and two simple trusts. What should I buy for software? Many thanks.

Pay per return license for ProSeries or UltraTax would both be good choices. What software did you previously use? Don't they have pay per return option?
    "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

I have been using ATX. Their pay per return would be about $900. Drake Around $400. Turbotax about $250. H&R is the lowest at about $90 for 5 returns.

Comment

The data-entry for ATX is very similar to ProSeries or the "forms mode" of the CD/downloaded version of TurboTax. So for ease of data-entry, TurboTax could be a viable option.

However, if you need to file some Trust returns (1041s), you would need TWO versions of TurboTax (the "Business" version only does non-1040s, and the other versions do 1040s). If you only have 1040s to file, you could probably use the lowest-version of TurboTax (if you use the "Forms Mode" to enter information directly on the forms and worksheets, any version should work fine).

Comment

I'm looking at H&R Block due to the low price. I will move up if necessary but don't think I'll need to. The Premium & Business version allows five e-files. There are are two separate programs, one for 1040's and one for business. the business program covers corps, partnerships, 1041's and even payroll. The business program looks just like ATX, which I've uses for years. The 1040 program does handle C's and E's. This may be all I need, all for $90.

Comment

Working...
          X