Filing of a 2019 Form 1040

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing of a 2019 Form 1040

Client is filing a 2019 Form 1040 and State Income Tax return. Form 1040 result is a refund due to the client. Tax is due on the state return and I have talked with the state revenue department to get the penalty and interest due for the late filing and late payment. The client wants direct deposit on the federal return; however, when I go to e-file the returns, a critical diagnostic message says that direct deposit is not permitted since is is being filed after November, 2020. Can I paper file the federal return and still have direct deposit? I will have to paper file the state return; it is not allowed to be e-filed at this time. Thank you.

". . .when I go to e-file the returns, a critical diagnostic message says that direct deposit is not permitted since is is being filed after November, 2020. . ."

It would appear that you just answered your own question ? ?

Comment

I’’m wondering. Is the client not outside the SOL for claiming a refund for 2019?

Comment

Your too late to receive a refund for 2019. The following from IRS.
        For 2019 tax returns, however, people have more time than usual to file to claim their refunds. Usually, the normal filing deadline to claim old refunds falls around the April tax deadline, which was April 18 this year for 2022 tax returns. But the three-year window for 2019 unfiled returns was postponed to July 17, 2023, due to the COVID-19 pandemic emergency. IRS Notice 2023-21, issued on Feb. 27, 2023, provided legal guidance on claims made by the postponed deadline. The law requires taxpayers to properly address, mail and ensure the tax return is postmarked by July 17, 2023.​

Comment

Lots of issues here
          • Can only efile current return and two backwards.. 2022,2021,2020
          • They shut down the efile server every year in late November
          • You cannot ask direct deposit on a prior year return
          • You cannot get a refund on a 2019 return after April 15, 2023, Possibly 10/15/23 with extension.

Chris

Comment

Thank you all for the responses to my question. I appreciate your assistance.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, it helped a lot.

Comment

Working...
              X