New series "I" savings bond rate effective 11-1-23

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TaxGuyBill
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2013
    • 2366

    #16
    Originally posted by Rapid Robert

    I wonder what the highest amount of fixed rate has ever been.



    3.6%, but that was a LONG time ago, in 2000.


    Comment

    • kathyc2
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2015
      • 1974

      #17
      Originally posted by Rapid Robert

      I also purchased in 2022 with knowledge that I might want to take the 3-month penalty at some point to trade up to a better rate. However, if the inflation component goes back up, then the sacrifice will be more than $90, correct? It's always the last 3 months of interest earned that is forfeited, I assume.

      Correct that the foregone interest is the last three months. I think people get held up too much on the word "penalty". The money needs to sit 3 months at no interest, similar to if a person had the money sitting in a checking account. Using Duke's example he earned $912 over 18 months. Disregarding compounding I calculate that he made an annual rate of around 6%. Doubtful that he could have had that return on any other no risk investment during that point in time.

      I only do CD's at my CU. They may not have the absolute highest rate, but they are competitive. I can take out a new one online. They auto renew, but it's not generally at the best rate. After it matures, I just call and have them put the amount in my checking account. I never have to go into the branch.

      My MM account is at American Funds. Again, all online for transactions.

      Comment

      • kathyc2
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2015
        • 1974

        #18
        Originally posted by TaxGuyBill



        3.6%, but that was a LONG time ago, in 2000.

        I figured the fixed rate is related to Fed rate. It does, but quite loosely. Interesting that in early 2000's the fixed rate was higher than fed rate.

        ​

        Since 2000 the combined rate is almost always higher than Fed rate, which is generally the most you can get on bank products.

        ​

        Comment

        Working...