Repayment of past withheld sales tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repayment of past withheld sales tax

I have a new client that did not remit sales tax to the sales tax authority. He was audited and is now paying past sales tax to the taxing authority. Are those sales tax payments a deduction for federal purposes?

Did the audit period include the period the tax wasn't remitted for?
    The sales tax (unless it's a purchase use tax) is not a Federal tax deduction because it is a business liability of taxes imposed on the consumer of the taxable product or service that is to be remitted to the
    state - it's a Trust Fund type of tax.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Although they shouldn't be, were the sales taxes collected included in prior year taxable income? Maybe an opportunity to amend those prior returns.
      "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Is this a business or an individual? Was it sales tax collected from customers or use tax on items purchased without sale tax collected?

Comment

Sales tax audits usually don't occur on the individual basis unless connected with a personally owned business.
          Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Sales tax is collected from the responsible party, usually an individual, if no one or entity can pay the tax.
            Last edited by BOB W; 07-28-2023, 08:04 PM.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by S&D Associates View Post
              I have a new client that did not remit sales tax to the sales tax authority. He was audited and is now paying past sales tax to the taxing authority. Are those sales tax payments a deduction for federal purposes?
              If sales tax was part of the sales reported, then yes they are deductible by way of amending sales and creating a sales tax liability account.
              If it was Use Tax, an amended return can still be done by debiting the Use Tax against the proper category of purchase and creating a sales tax liability account.
              Going one step further, if sales tax was never collected on those sales, sales being correct, I'm not sure what to do?
              Last edited by BOB W; 07-28-2023, 08:15 PM.
              This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Working...
              X