2023 Withholding or Estimate Payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2023 Withholding or Estimate Payments

As I understand this, tax withheld counts as if paid monthly over the tax year, so tax withheld in December is treated as if paid equally over the 12 mos.
    If this is true, could a taxpayer who normally would need to make estimate payments, ignore them and have one large amount of tax withheld in
    December from their IRA RMD to cover the tax for the 100% / 110% safe harbor and suffer no ill effects ?

Thanks for comments.

That's the way I understand how it will work.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Yes to the question, as previously reply states.

"tax withheld counts as if paid monthly over the tax year,"

Not exactly. That would actually work against you if true.

"For withheld federal income tax and excess social security or tier 1
      railroad retirement tax (RRTA), you are considered to have paid
      one-fourth of these amounts on each payment due date unless you
      can show otherwise.
      "
      "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

They cannot asses a 2210 penalty if the December withholding exceeded the period amount required.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
          They cannot asses a 2210 penalty if the December withholding exceeded the period amount required.
          The way I understand things is taxes WITHHELD (W2 / 1099R / etc) are always treated as if paid uniformly throughout the tax YEAR without any "period amount" considerations.
          (There may be a separate concern for FICA quarterly issues. . .but that's not really "income tax" in nature.)
          As always, I could be quite wrong.
          I don't really lie awake at nights worrying about such.

Comment

Comment

I've been doing that for several years. I take a large federal and state withholding from my December RMD, and make no estimated payments. I also do that for a few of my clients. I'm not sure how much longer before the IRS has the financial intuitions start to put a date on the RMD's

Comment

"how much longer before the IRS has the financial intuitions start to put a date on the RMD's"

My curiosity got the better of me -- what would be the purpose of requiring a specific calendar date? It wouldn't change anything, similar to how W-2s do not have specific dates.
                "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
                X