Qcd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Qcd

I have not done a QCD return for a while and need a refresher please...the RMD was directly paid to the charity...the 1099 says it was all taxable, but box checked for taxable amount.
    Do I include it as all as taxable and then use it as a donation? She also had many other donations, so sure it will lead to carryovers for next year.

No. Enter the 1099. Then, depending on your software, find the line or pop-up or tab or whereever to enter the QCD amount. Your software should take it from there. What software do you use?

Comment

I use Taxslayer PRO...thanks I knew had to take it off somehow, but was forgetting how to do it.

Comment

I found that QCD line...marked it yes and now it wants to take all of the amount instead of the QCD portion of the total...maybe a software tech question at this point.
        The total was 18000, but only 11000 was QCD.

Comment

In my software (Taxwise) you enter the 1099-R amount as both gross & taxable first, then scroll down and enter
          the amount of the QCD. If this is done correctly lines 4-a & 4-b of the 1040 should differ by the QCD amount.

Comment

Your software will have a place to enter the QCD amount of $11,000. Contact Taxslayer PRO support if you can't find it.

Comment

Your software should have a line where you enter the AMOUNT of the QCD, which is not necessarily the same as the taxable amount shown on the Form 1099-R.
              Once you do that, the taxable amount on the Form 1040 will be reduced, and the letters "QCD" automatically entered on the same line of the Form 1040.

Comment

I'm guessing you've figured this out by now. I just did one using Drake and there was a separate tab adjacent to the 1099-R input tab for "Special Tax Treatment". I could check elect all of it to be a QCD or input the partial amount.

Comment

Working...
                X